xenithon is offline Member

Shrugs: which way to do them?

Hiya people,

I must say I am a supreme advocator on shrugs - they ROCK!!

BUT, in the past few weeks I have realised that there's more than one way and would just like your input on which you guys think is the best, or which would be the best to alternate. I currently have the following:

Olympic bar - classic shrug! Either with bar in front of body, or behind body

Chest Machine - this is using the bench press machine to do shrugs. I find it good cause I can do it like normal bar shrugs, but alsmost as if the bar 'run through' my body, so no need to do behind body and in front of body. Also helps with stability.

Dumbell shrugs. Good, but I quit these cause its very difficult to control when going heavy, and loss of form is real easy

Cable shrugs. Hmmm, how do I describe this. Well, you know you have the tricep pushdown machine. I have seen in many gyms something which looks like that, except there are two connections next to each other, both at the top and at the bottom. Simply attach a handle like used in cable crossovers to each connection at the bottom, so the weight is directed straight down (to avoid pressure on back), and shrug, either one at a time, or both simultaneously. This gives the pump of dumbells, and more, but with the stability and control of cables.

I have tried all of these, and have difficulty deciding which to do. I really like the cable and bench press ones cause they keep form, but I know many people say that if its mass you want, keep away from machines and cables, and stick only to free weights. True??

Any suggestions/advice??

Thanks. PS. Current Shoulder routine:

Smith Machine military press to front x 3 OR Dumbbell press x 3
    Hammer strength shoulder press x 3
    Seated Lateral raises x 3
    Shrugs (some or other form ) x 4
    Superset front delts and rear delts x 2. (2 supersets).

All in all takes about an hour.

DevilsDeity is offline Anabolic Member
    bumbells probably give the best range of motion

i like dumbell and straight bar

you can combine your shrugz , like 3 different exercises one week

then 3 different exercises/grips the next week

its all in that you feel good in doing

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    If your gym has a cambered bar you could give them a shot using that bar, your hand position would be similar to bd shrugs but the bar should add some stability. Some gyms also have shrug machines they would be similar to the chest machine shrugs but, with a different hand position.

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    I switch off every couple of weeks from DB to straight bar+ez bar

Jenna is offline Female Member
    I use the classic bar behind the back. I shrug 225 lbs. for 20 reps - 4 sets...

The only other exercise I do that somewhat works the traps are pull-to-chins... my traps are actually pretty sore today from doing those with the olympic bar yesterday....

<<<< JENNA >>>>

chris245 is offline Junior Member
    well i usually use a barbell,but with a curve in the middle. i find that its the only trap exercise that really gets them sore.

im barbell shrugging 245,3 sets of 12,and my traps are just screamin' today.

Butch is offline Anabolic Member
    Sweet Jesus Jenna, that is a lot of weight girl! When I read that my jaw hit the floor. Good Job!!!

I usually switch off with the straight bar and the db's. 4x15

Uconish is offline Member
    grab the heaviest dumbbells you can handle and watch your neck disappear

bad_man is offline Anabolic Member
    Originally posted by Jenna
    I use the classic bar behind the back. I shrug 225 lbs. for 20 reps - 4 sets...

The only other exercise I do that somewhat works the traps are pull-to-chins... my traps are actually pretty sore today from doing those with the olympic bar yesterday....
    Jenna is really the She-Hulk!!

My gym has some thing from Hammer Strength for shrugs. I don't know what it's called but it's sort of the the end of a wheel barrow (the end with the handles.) You put plates on it I guess it's similar to using dumbells but it's easier for me to use heavier weights.

Parker is offline New Member
    Craig Titus does a seated row machine version in his video. He lays back on the seated row machine and shrugs with his traps parallel to the floor. I personally like to go with dumbells.

Scorpion is offline Junior Member
    Smith Machine Shrugs - supinated grip. You can go really heavy and pack on the weight fast on a smith and also not worry about dropping anything.

bex
    bex is offline Banned
    Try upright rows from behind your back (Hold the bar behind your back hands spaced about 8 inches apart and pull up as far as you can and squeeze and hold for 5 secs then repeat for 3 sets of 10...)

Vegas Kid is offline Senior Member
    I don't do traps, but word on the street....

Barbell shrugs in front and some in back.

bex
    bex is offline Banned
    Originally posted by Diesel

Never tried these Bex.

Don't you find that your range of motion is constricted doing them this way?
    No because you do not have to lift the weight too high to feel the trap work (YOU HAVE TO DO A LOT LIGHTER IN WEIGHT)TRY IT AND LET ME KNOW.....

Thread Information