Thread: Dumbbell Flyes

Dumbbell Flyes

I've always heard the Schawarzenegger "hugging a tree" approach worked best with this exercise, however I saw someone doing it differently in the gym the other day. The guy would bring the weight down with his elbows bent and as he brought the weight in the hugging motion his elbows would become straight as to give him more room to contract. I always kept my elbows at a fixed position sort of limiting my range of motion at the top... Is this other guys method better?

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    I am assumming he was locking out his arms right? If so, the guy knows diddly squat as he is taking some of the stress/tension off his pecs and putting it towards the shoulder joints. Forget you saw him and by the way how was his pec developement anyways?

Spoon is offline 'Lurker at the threshold'
    i just imagine i am hugging a barell and continue with the motion throughout the range of movement.

Surferboy is offline Associate Member
    I believe that is one instance in which tree hugging is appropriate. When I'm doing my flys, I have my palms facing each other at the top and as I lower the weight to the sides, I pronate my hands. This really helped my upper chest pop out more.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    The more bend in your elbows, the easier the exercise is. Many people put so much bend in their elbows, they might as well being doing dumbbell bench presses. In this instance, you need to maintain a slight bend in your elbows, to keep the resistance on the pectorals. If your arms are locked out at the top, the resistance is running through the joints, predominantly.
    Last edited by striker93; 08-03-2005 at 10:14 PM.

collar is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by El Jugo Buen0
    I've always heard the Schawarzenegger "hugging a tree" approach worked best with this exercise, however I saw someone doing it differently in the gym the other day. The guy would bring the weight down with his elbows bent and as he brought the weight in the hugging motion his elbows would become straight as to give him more room to contract. I always kept my elbows at a fixed position sort of limiting my range of motion at the top... Is this other guys method better?
    what u do does it work great for u???
    if so why worry what the other guy is doing
    if its not working to well for u go into gym and do what he was doing see if u like it.
    but i suspect it wont do shit
    more triceps more shoulders
    less chest hehehe

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Some will say that you get a fuller pec development by using his technique. I do not believe so, because at that point in the ROM, gravity is not working very efficiently on the pecs (technically the dbs). The only way you will know for sure, is to try it yourself. I have, and prefer the traditional technique. Good luck!

Thread Information