heavyhitter08 is offline Associate Member

Weightlifting in the morning....

So i just finished up a bulking cycle and starting to dry up and show definition.

1st question is if i weightlift in the morning should i do so on an empty stomach to help burn fat or does this not apply as cardio in the AM.

2nd on some days i do AM cardio(empty stomach) and directly weight lift for 45 mins after, should i take a protein shake beofre i begin weightlifting or just keep running on empty tank?

Goals are trying to burn some fat but don't want to lose the hard earned LBM i've added....

BigPimpin76 is offline Senior Member
    i would advise you to eat something before you work out. Maybe take a protein shake. After you work out you can do some cardio for about 30 mins according to your heart rate.
    If you weak up and feel like you want to do cardio the just do it on an empty stomach. You are supposed to separate the two.

yodaddy is offline Associate Member
    i eat these pria protein bars after my 45 mins of cardio right before i work out...there 120 cals 2 grans of un sat fat 12 carbs 8 grams of sugar.....ive asked many body builders in my gym such as frank seppie and he said it looks like a good choice but he also told me alot of body builders who do cardio then work out eat baby food cause its just simple sugars...every since i started eating these bars i get great pumps and it has not effected my fat loss i am gettign really ripped and not losing muscle i thikn becuase of the bars...

exactly the type of input i need! thanks fellas
    anymore?

tretch187 is offline Associate Member
    I would definitely eat before your workout. Proper Pre/During/Post would be very important.

On E would be rough and your lifts would suffer badly would be my guess.

FullMoonHowlingWolf is offline Senior Member
    I would suggest that you don't do any weight training on an empty stomach, as you don't want to lose your hard earned muscle. If you must workout after doing empty stomach AM cardio, I suggest that you eat first. As Yodaddy stated about baby food, you could consume it, as I've done this in the past when I wanted to compete. Baby food digests quickly. Otherwise a protein shake should suffice, but give yourself 20 mins to enable some digestion.

boondockSAINT is offline Associate Member
    I lift in the morning. I have a protein shake, oats, and juice and then lift. I take caffeine preworkout to get some eneygy before the food kicks in.

Steve80 is offline Associate Member
    I usually workout at 8 am. I eat 2 whole grain bagels plain at like 7:30. I lift for an hour then immediately eat a steak(chicken breast, turkey sandwich), brown rice and applesauce aftrwards.

quaker48 is offline Associate Member
    actually you would be better not to eat and work out on an empty stomach because if you eat your gonna use energy on digesting your food. If the mourning is the only time frame you can lift go on an empty stomach, then after workout eat.

Thanks for the replies!

this questions was bothering me b/c i'm forced to workout in the mornings and usually do AM cardio first. Common sense would be to have a protein shake before i start weight training but wasn't sure if something fast acting would benefit or long digesting food (casein) would be better.

Thanks!

D-Bo Dre is offline Member
    EAT BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING!!! You dont want to pass out on the treadmill or on the bench.. then you will end up like this

Oakley is offline Associate Member
    One more thing. Is it better to work out in the morn? I heard people are getting better results at night due to bed shortly after....

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quaker48
    actually you would be better not to eat and work out on an empty stomach because if you eat your gonna use energy on digesting your food. If the mourning is the only time frame you can lift go on an empty stomach, then after workout eat.
    Ditto.. Finally (of course this depends on how close to workout your pre-training meal is.. Also depends on the density of that meal)

Anyway.. i'm in agreement with the general concept.

When i train early a.m. i just change my night-time carb schedule.

I eat carbs tru-out the day... so i have energy to train in the am

Pre-training the most i'd add is a couple amino acids tabs.. or maybe some whey or some BCAAs

Doesn't affect my energy levels at all.

Narkissos

Quote Originally Posted by Oakley
    One more thing. Is it better to work out in the morn? I heard people are getting better results at night due to bed shortly after....
    That depends on the individual... i get no better 'results' a.m. vs p.m.

I train when i get the opportunity to.. no set time frame.

I think the most important thing is to get in the session.. period

Narkissos,

Off topic ???- Couldnt help but notice- That pic you got of your game plan has a time span of 8yrs.. What is your current weight and what is your goal? I'm no expert but I see about 25lbs difference between pics.. <5lbs per year? ANyways, just curious.. Keep up the good work bro.. Lookin good.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Bo Dre
    Narkissos,

Off topic ???- Couldnt help but notice- That pic you got of your game plan has a time span of 8yrs..
    My 'game plan' is actually 6 years in length.. as this is 2006.

I liked the look i had in 2004.. though small so that's the pic i chose to photoshop

I've competed heavier prior to and after then.

What is your current weight and what is your goal?
    I weighed in at 212 lbs a couple about a month ago. In the 2004 pic i was about 165 lbs (competed as a welterweight).. this year i may compete as a middleweight (around 175 lbs).

Cutting begins for nationals from tomorrow... Tomorrow marks 14 weeks out.

I'm no expert but I see about 25lbs difference between pics.. <5lbs per year?
    I actually have no specific goal-weight per year in mind.. I just plan on improving from contest to contest.

It was a 'goal' to hit 230 lbs offseason this year.. but i didn't make it (had multiple injuries).

After my contest in August.. i'm going to lean bulk.. then cut for a contest in March. If i make the contest in March i won't do the Nationals in August '07. I'll bulk til April 1st '08 (hopefully hitting 230 by then).. then start my contest prep for nationals '08 17 weeks out from the show. Where i plan on being in the light-heavy class.

ANyways, just curious.. Keep up the good work bro.. Lookin good.
    Thanks for the question.. It helped me to put my goals in perspective.

And my apologies to the thread starter for the hijack

Narkissos

Thanks for the reply Narkissos,
    I think that's great that your goal is streched so far into the future. That's why I guess it makes sense to set your goals based on improvement rather than weight.. Since I'm new to the game, I still base my goals on weight-gain per year (muscle weight of course). I can only imagine how much dedication it takes you to jump up and down in weight during on and off season.. Good luck in your cutting cycle bro..

By the way dont worry about the hijack, HeavyHitter happens to be my training buddy/cousin.. So if he has a problem with it I'll just not spot him at the gym tommorrow

Thread Information