Girlyman is offline Associate Member

LBs of Natural gains per year?

MY friend told me you can only put on 10 pounds of muscle per year naturally, with proper nutrition and routine? Is this true? What kind of gains did you guys see naturally when you first started lifting?

SinCityMan is offline Junior Member
    I say BullSh*t. 10 pounds is just to round of a number especially considering the range of people that you are asking. When people just start out they can gain like crazy or they might not everyone is different. THere is no set number as to what a person can gain with juice or not. When i started out at 16 i was about 165 lbs at 6'0. By the time my senior (18) year came around i was playing football at 6'3 210 lbs so following his logic not true.

Well he was refering to muscle not necessarily weight, because I know myself I've packed on 12-15 pounds of weight this summer just from eating my ass off and lifting. I realise everyone is different, but I was trying to get a ballpark on what kind of gains I should be looking for so I know when I'm doing either the nutrition or routine incorrectly. Thanks for the input though

Bigpup101 is offline Senior Member
    yea i would say it's all relative for how long you've been training and keeping your body from adapting my friend who i started training with in december has gained about 25lbs already and lost a tremendous amount of fat, but me on the other hand who has been training now for 4 years have put on about 9lbs in the same time period

_Tiger_ is offline Member
    10 lbs? thats the gold standard for EVERYONE eh?.....wrong (that would suck @SS!)...I've gained over 10 lbs in the last 2 months naturally. Muscle Memory helps too. Bottom line: there are too many factors to say 10 lbs is the gold standard of what you can gain a year.

HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Girlyman
    MY friend told me you can only put on 10 pounds of muscle per year naturally, with proper nutrition and routine? Is this true? What kind of gains did you guys see naturally when you first started lifting?

that all depends,training,diet, detication, but after a couple years of training naturally, gains will slow down so i would say anywhere from 5-10lbs per year of lean lbs would be a good goal to set, you cant flex fat so it doesnt count!
    Last edited by HOLLYWOOD; 08-07-2005 at 11:12 PM.

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD
    that all depends,training,diet, detication, but after a couple years of training naturally, gains will slow down so i would say anywhere from 5-10lbs per year of lean lbs would be a good goal to set, you cant flex fat so it doesnt count!
    100% agreed that is why i am now thinking about that juice....

SHAOKAHN is offline Member
    I'm with HOLLYWOOD & S.P.G on this one... after years of training, huge spurts (of growth) become more and more rare/harder. 10lbs of Lbm, is a good yearly gain IMO.

Squatman51 is offline Senior Member
    well i remeber i started lifting weights back when i was 13 i believe maybe 14 and i was 130lbs now im 230 and 18 so i gained more than 10 per year

diesel21 is offline Member
    everyone is diff, that sounds tuff for real lean muscle, could be tuff even if on juice..

diet and intense training is the way to fo.....BUT 90% of people, even big blown up guys can't lift for shiit, just take a look...

all my reps are 2-4 sec positive, 4 or more neg.... and all with heavy weight perfect form... soon as i let one of my buddies that weights 220 do it, they can't, too funny!

Quote Originally Posted by SHAOKAHN
    I'm with HOLLYWOOD & S.P.G on this one... after years of training, huge spurts (of growth) become more and more rare/harder. 10lbs of Lbm, is a good yearly gain IMO.

even 10lbs is a huge gain of LBM, i would say 5lbs of LBM is more realistic for the natural BB
    Last edited by HOLLYWOOD; 08-08-2005 at 11:17 AM.

Hmm thats a little rough, 5 lbs a year. It will take me 5 years to get my goal weight of 185. Ohh well

Darkness is offline Member
    All the diet and lifting techiniques aside...it depends on how long you've been weight lifting and how close to your genetic limitations you are, in the begining its easy to pack more than 10lbs LBM per year, but as you go up in weight it becomes more and more dificult to pack that much muscle without hormone manipulation, and it also depends on your age.

Well I'm 22 I've been lifting for a month or so, this is the first time I've been lifting in a year (did a 9 month deal without proper nutirition about two years ago and got nothing out of it). So whats the point of bulking if you can only gain 5-10 pounds of muscle a year. That means all this weight Ive been gaining on this bulking diet is pure fat

Hmm thats a little rough, 5 lbs a year. It will take me 5 years to get my goal weight of 185. Ohh well

packing on 10+ lbs/year is easy it's just a matter of how of that is actually muscle!

Slic4788 is offline Associate Member
    Gains come fast when you first start lifting. I think I could do 10 pounds in 2 months if I ws starting. It's just people start to plateu and it gets harder and harder after 30+ pounds.

Darkness is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slic4788
    Gains come fast when you first start lifting. I think I could do 10 pounds in 2 months if I ws starting. It's just people start to plateu and it gets harder and harder after 30+ pounds.
    The early plateaus are easy to overcome, a slight change in workout routine will do it, now the plateaus you get after 5+ years of lifting are hard to get by and my solution for mine is gear

SinCityMan is offline Junior Member
    I think what most need to realize is that there is no set number... Everyone is different girlyman could gain 10 lbs or he just as easily lose 10 lbs. It is not a mathematical equation. its silly to set your goal solely on one matrices, because if you were not able to gain those ten lbs this month but you were able to increase your lifts by 10% that is still a success on some level.

Well I did gain over 10 pounds this month and my 5x5 bench went from 150 ---> 180, which is probably typical with just getting conditioned and warmed up, since I just started this month again. but I add a few pounds each workout and I havn't hit any walls yet

Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    the average person can probably put on 7-12 lbs in a year with a good diet and training reigieme. You will get a few people who will gain more then this and some who will gain less. If you think you can gain 25lbs of lean muscle in a year you are dreaming! Even if you are in your first year of training when you grow your best you wont gain that much. I gained 25lbs of 'weight' in my first year of training. Alot of it was lbm but not all of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime
    the average person can probably put on 7-12 lbs in a year with a good diet and training reigieme. You will get a few people who will gain more then this and some who will gain less. If you think you can gain 25lbs of lean muscle in a year you are dreaming! Even if you are in your first year of training when you grow your best you wont gain that much. I gained 25lbs of 'weight' in my first year of training. Alot of it was lbm but not all of it.
    yup! ppl dont seem to have a hard realizing that that alot of the weight they gain isnt all muscle

decadbal is offline Banned
    i think your gains s tart off great then slow down when your body begins to get accustomed to workouts and so on.. i gained alot right away and its slowed down since the beginning, but i usually get about 15 to 20 each year

Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    Quote Originally Posted by Decadbal
    i think your gains s tart off great then slow down when your body begins to get accustomed to workouts and so on.. i gained alot right away and its slowed down since the beginning, but i usually get about 15 to 20 each year
    when was the last time you trained naturally for a whole year?

znak is offline Senior Member
    My experience is that you can gain 1 pound a month naturally until you get to your max weight, then things slow waaaaaaaaay down. I went from 160 lbs (14%bf) to 205 lbs (8%), which is a gain of 51 pounds of muscle in four years. (Bench went from 90 lbs to 290 lbs in the same time period.)

At 205, I got impatient and starting using gear.

If you are younger than me (which almost everyone on this board is), you can gain faster, but a pound a month, every month is a realistic goal.

Everyone is different, but this is a pretty good rule of thumb. Not getting these results for the first couple years at least-- look at your diet, routine, lifestye, instensity, etc. Something is wrong.

Thread Information