xplicit is offline Member

Is there any workouts that can help me to jump higher?

I know this question might sound retarded but is there any way to help me jump better like if i work out calves more and is there any excises to strehgten knees or ankles causem ine are terrible.
    Again i know its a silly question but any help is much appreicated.
    Thanks

Hitman is offline Senior Member
    How about getting some of those strap on velcro weights and try skipping with them it might help? with my dogs i built up their speed by tying cinder blocks to their leads, not all the time just when i was training them, Similar principle...........HITMAN

jbrand is offline Member
    heavy squats and plyometrics. explosive/ballistic training is very important in improving your vertical.

Vegas Kid is offline Senior Member
    plyometrics is the best way to go. I've had great experiences with them. Since I'm guessing you have strong legs already it shouldn't be too hard for you to start up. Jump shoes don't work for shit.

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    Yup, I am a volleyball guy, and I do squats and calf exercises, as well as Ballistic exercises to get my jump higher. Try playing some volleyball in sand for a few hours, that will pump those legs and calves up, and increase your vertical, with the resistance.

I cant jump for shyt, but if theres a way i can improve my vertical im willing to try. What exactly is ballsitics and plyometrics? I have bad knees im sure that contributes to bad jumping.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    how about some Power Cleans ?? or some power squats (do like 5 half way down kinda quickly, then one deep and explode / jump up with it).

jbrand is offline Member
    Originally posted by xplicit
    I cant jump for shyt, but if theres a way i can improve my vertical im willing to try. What exactly is ballsitics and plyometrics? I have bad knees im sure that contributes to bad jumping.
    Pick up "Jumping Into Plyometrics" by Donald Chu for some good information. For starters, plyometrics is basically going from the eccentric portion immediately to the concentric (with zero rest), such a tempo would appear to be X-0-Y (that's a zero). The most common example to explain plyometrics is a "clap pushup". Think about it, starting from the eccentric and 'letting go' to push yourself up (if you paused at the bottom you would hit your head on the ground). The most common plyometric exercises I have seen for increasing the vertical is box-to-box jumps (step and jump between 2 boxes), and rim jumps on a basketball hoop.

Ballistic training can best be defined as explosive, take the power clean for example. You must be very careful as this type of training would be the easiest route to an injury if done improperly.

Ok thanks a lot ill check that book out.

jbrand is offline Member
    Originally posted by xplicit
    Ok thanks a lot ill check that book out.
    It's like $13, won't put much of a hole in your wallet.

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member
    bounding drills. Up stairs or box to box like jbrand said. Hop on both legs then one leg at a time. Stadiums work well

Staduim your talking about running the steps in the staduim. I dont htink i can find a staduim to run around in.
    Ron did u just get bumped up to mod??? I wasnt sure if i notcied it before because im always starin at the micky head wit the muslce body lol. But congates if u did.

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    Ever try jump squats?
    use light weights at first, decend like a normal squat , then EXPLODE up from the bottom jumping at the top. Bar speed is very important even though you're using light weights you need to push as if it was a max squat attempt.
    Remember to always stay in control.
    Also try to find articles on compensatory acceleration.
    Check out www.elitefts.com for articles about squating and box squating by Louie Simmons and Dave Tate they're two of the top strength coaches in the world. If you educate yourself with these methods you will be able to apply them to your training and reach your goals. Remember it's not good enough to just be strong you must be STRONG AND FAST.

Thread Information