spound is offline Anabolic Member

squatting stance question?

Is it better to take a wide stance while squatting or more like a shoulder width stance for max. quad development?

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    A bit wider than shoulder width with your toes pointed slightly outward.

The wider you go, the more it becomes a powerlifting style.

~SC~

JAYROD is offline Senior Member
    agree with swole (he stole my answer). actually exactly the way he stated it has worked best for me because for whatever reason with my toes pointed outward i have much better balance and therfore i can use heavier weight while still going down to parallel.

freakintraining is offline Associate Member
    does that imply to hack squats too? (back injurty i have a hard time squatting with freeweights)

The wider your stance, the more it works the inner thighs, the narrower your stance the more sweep it gives the quads.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    The closer stance will be better for quad development. Trunk angle is also very important. The more you lean forward (no more than a 45 degree angle), the more you will involve the glutes and hamstrings. The more upright your trunk is, the more you will stress the quadriceps.

cool...thanks guys, so PL style doestn build muscle as well? but is more for leverage/strength?

Quote Originally Posted by spound
    cool...thanks guys, so PL style doestn build muscle as well? but is more for leverage/strength?
    You got it. All powerlifting style ever did for me was give me a huge ass from my glutes getting hammered so much because of the old "ass to the floor" bullshit. I dont even free weight squat anymore, I do them on the smith machine with my feet kicked out in front of my body about a foot and a half, narrow stance. I only go just parallel and then back up because it keeps constant stress on the quadriceps. My legs have exploded from these. I've gotten more growth in my quads in the past couple months doing these than I have in 2 years doing regular squats

thanks for the suggestion! Yea my ass is huge from squatting PL style (i think i do it bc im so tall and its hard to go parallel without going wide, i cant go as heavy with a narrower stance)

Squatman51 is offline Senior Member
    the wider you go its works more of the hams and glutes...if your feet are closer you will work alot more quads, some glutes, but less hamstring

Thread Information