Flexor is offline Banned

Muscle definition: heavy or light weights? Why do ppl say different things?

Everybody knows that the first step to getting defined muscles is having the right diet to get rid of excess body fat. Well I'm at what I want to be already and I have absolutely no fat anywhere except a little bit on my abs but I don't have all the definition that I want.

So in terms of the actual work out what can I do?

Do I train heavy, because I heard that this puts more tension on the muscle and increases tone, or train light with high reps (which is what a lot of people seem to think)

I don't personally think light weights are any good, I like the idea of heavy weights to really pull all the muscle fibres and pull them into good shape...

Crazylegs is offline Banned
    Progressively heavier weights is the only way to make a muscle bigger, which gives more definition.

Dally is offline The Dally Lama
    how long and how long constantly have you lifted weights.

muscles tend to get denser in time... tend to tighten and harden up with hard intense training...at least thats my opinion.

I do alot of supersets and drop sets... heavy is not always the answer, stimulation is the answer.

low bodyfat and muscle age .... or well, quality muscle will give you more shreds.

its not easy man.

Crazylegs is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dally
    how long and how long constantly have you lifted weights.

muscles tend to get denser in time... tend to tighten and harden up with hard intense training...at least thats my opinion.

I do alot of supersets and drop sets... heavy is not always the answer, stimulation is the answer.

low bodyfat and muscle age .... or well, quality muscle will give you more shreds.

its not easy man.
    I agree with you however to stimulate growth you have to stress the muscle further than the last time, or it will stay the same.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Definition comes from low bodyfat.

~SC~

Squatman51 is offline Senior Member
    low bf and i think lifting heavy weights will add more mass to you and in the long run will result in more definition..supersets also work well like people said above

JAYROD is offline Senior Member
    if you have low bf the definition will come with some work.

chest6 is offline Banned
    I dont agree at all that high weight="tone" my friend says that all the time and i rip the shit out of him. If you want definition lift heavy and cut every bit of fat you can.

I think it's a combination of both, heavy weights as well as reps. You need to switch it up constantly to stimulate the muscles in different ways. I never had the leg development I do now until I started going higher reps on my leg extensions and pressing movements. I used to do 3-4 sets of 12-15 rep leg extensions and it was so hard to see the teardrops, but I upped them to 3 sets of 30 reps and have been doing that the past couple months and its like night and day now. I also upped my squats to 4 sets of 15 rather than 6-10 reps and I feel as if thats helped as well. In my case it has nothing to do with bodyfat, because I've been at a lower bf than I am now and didnt see half the leg development

Thread Information