iamthehulk is offline Junior Member

how do you feel about negatives

do negative techniques heally help to gain strength. and is it a bad idea to make your entire workout routine negative techniques

Squatman51 is offline Senior Member
    i use them for bench, that is about it...i have tried them on shoulder press also..i think it makes you stronger in a sense that you can get a feel for the weight and when you do go for a full rep with the weight it wont feel so heavy and wont surprise you

Dally is offline The Dally Lama
    negatives are advanced techniques, how long have you been lifting?

I do negatives all the time, I've lifted for over 13 years so....its not a new thing for me.

personally the harder I train the better the results, the more I torture myself in a 3 set drop set with negatives for eg 55 db laterals to failure and rest pause to 30's same to 10s same...made me have to buy new shirts for work.

its all relative tho...and borderline overtraining...it has to done carefully.

yesterday I did chest back for eg and its not sore today... ive over did it....so, be careful

chest6 is offline Banned
    negatives dont seem to have an effect that much on strength..as much as getting used to the weight

BeerBaron is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    negatives dont seem to have an effect that much on strength..as much as getting used to the weight
    I agree, it takes out that shock factor of "wow, this is really heavy" I've only done them for bench though.

iamthehulk is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dally
    yesterday I did chest back for eg and its not sore today... ive over did it....so, be careful
    4 years, so would it be safe to say that if you do not feel it the next day you over did it instead of not doing enough

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    The negative portion of the lift is where the tearing (soreness the next day or a couple days later - DOMS) of the muscle fibers happens. For a bodybuilder this is extremely important. It would be impossible to perform a negative-only program because you would need several spotters on hand at all times. The soreness would be brutal though.

ReX357 is offline "Toughest & Best Looking Guy Around Here"
    Quote Originally Posted by striker93
    The negative portion of the lift is where the tearing (soreness the next day or a couple days later - DOMS) of the muscle fibers happens. For a bodybuilder this is extremely important. It would be impossible to perform a negative-only program because you would need several spotters on hand at all times. The soreness would be brutal though.
    This theory seems true as everytime I work with negatives I am 110% sure to be sore next day. You got references for that? Like articles or something?

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by ReX357
    This theory seems true as everytime I work with negatives I am 110% sure to be sore next day. You got references for that? Like articles or something?
    Most believe it's lactic acid that causes the soreness but that appears not to be true. I believe I read it in my National Strength & Conditioning Association Textbook. I'm at work right now, so I'll have to wait until I get back home (Wednesday morning).
    Last edited by striker93; 08-09-2005 at 05:45 PM.

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    I tend to put the most focus exploding 'up' and the second most focus on my negatives. Since I really started focusing on my negs I noticed improvement in my strength, and stability, as well as secondary muscle growth. I see a lot of guys treat negs like they don't exist. But the truth is, if you at least do them properly and purposely, you might be surprised how they change you.

at least that has been my experience with them

Thread Information