Thread: ATTN. SwoleCat

Tommy Gunn is offline Member

ATTN. SwoleCat

Hey Swole what do you recommend for cardio? I have been doing some searches and it looks like 3 days a week (non lifting days) for 30 minutes in the morning is where it's at. Am I correct?

Is 30 minutes too much? Should I drop it to 20 minutes?

smokethedays is offline Veni, Vedi, Vici.
    Blog Entries
    if u r writing this to SC, y don't u just PM him, instead of opening a whole thread

BITTAPART2 is offline Senior Member
    scared LOL

Well, anyone can answer. It's just I know his accomplishments and I know he works with athletes. And seeing I am an athlete, just getting back into USA/Amateur boxing, I would like his opinion. If you wanna help feel free smoke.

Sorry fellas. I didn't mean anything by it.

smokethedays is offline Veni, Vedi, Vici.
    Blog Entries
    u should be doing 5-4 time a week 30-45 mins. Cardio @ 60%-70% Heart rate on empty stomach.

Thanks smoke

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    How long you do cardio, and how many days, depends on 2 things:

1) The TYPE of cardio you are doing.

2) Your goals in general, I.E. your fitness goals.

~SC~

I am training for another amateur boxing match. I am boxing training 5 days a week. I plan on after my boxing training, run on the treadmill for 30 minutes.

My goal isn't so much fat loss, but rather to get my wind up for my battles in sparring and in matches.

What do you think Swole?

1819 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Gunn
    Well, anyone can answer. It's just I know his accomplishments and I know he works with athletes. And seeing I am an athlete, just getting back into USA/Amateur boxing, I would like his opinion. If you wanna help feel free smoke.
    talk to your trainer tomm but in general, if your a fighter, you shouldnt be doing too much with weights anyway and ya better be doin your roadwork. fvckin boring ass treadmill and jogging should be your best friend. that should be done at least 4-5 times a week when not training for a fight and whatever your trainer recommends for the 6 weeks before. try and hit the bag at least 3 3minute rounds before you run, jump some rope for 2-3 rounds and you shouldnt have any wind problems in those late rounds.

I plan on running RIGHT AFTER my boxing training on the treadmill for 30 minutes, starting at 6 mph and gradually every week increase the pace. I will be doing this 5 days a week.

Well, if you are not doing cardio for fat loss, then eat something before you do this so when you are running you aren't fueling your cardio session by way of lean muscle mass.

~SC~

But is 30 minutes on the treadmill after my boxing sessions (5 days a week) enough?

For stamina I would think it would be, yes. Keep in mind that's my view on it knowing absolutely nothing about your physical condition, conditioning overall, etc.

~SC~

1819 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Gunn
    But is 30 minutes on the treadmill after my boxing sessions (5 days a week) enough?
    depends on your endurance level. if you run 30 minutes and feel like you can go another hour then its probably not enough. if you barely make 30 minutes and you feel like your gonna die, then you better do more. i am generalizing because everyone is different but unless your 6 weeks out from a fight its not a bad idea to do cardio unitl you think your gonna drop. wont hurt you to "overtrain" a little. you can never have enough wind in the ring. inside 6 weeks though listen to your body and your trainer. you dont want to be beating yourself up too bad. you'll get enough of that on fight night. good luck.

Darkness is offline Member
    If you want to increase your "wind" doing regular cardio where you maintain a steady heart rate is not the best aproach. First of all forget the thread mill, that wont help you much. You should be doing a fartlek run, get your self on some rolling terrain where you'll be able to go up and down hills and some flats. You should also change your tempo during the run, and if you have a pacer you should do calisthenics every 400-500 meters on your 30min runs. And try to still run at least 3 miles during these 30min with all of the calisthenics (about 10-12 sets). Doing this 3 times a week will give you a very strong cardiovascular stamina in a pretty quick time.
    Good luck.

Thread Information