Dave321 is offline AR's Salad Tossing Connoisseur

Proper shrug technique...

What is the proper technique for doing shrugs... in regards to head position. I always look directly straight and on occasion tilt my head forward for what I believe is targeting a different area. Are their any rules of thumb with doing shrugs? Do you keep your head straight or tilted forward a bit???

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    I do both(dumbbells&barbells) with neck in the normal position never heard of nething bout moving the neck....maybe that how people like you and justin gayne do it

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    The basic barbell or dumbbell shrug is done with head in a neutral position. There are variations to stress upper, middle, or lower fibers. Most people think of just upper traps, but there are middle and lower traps as well.

BeerBaron is offline Senior Member
    I actually change the db position for shrugs. I hold the db's slightly infront kind of on my quads, then straight down at sides, then back by my ass. Each one definitly feels different, so i do them all. Anyone else shrug like that?

thanks guys... mucho appreciated!

Deezuhl is offline Anabolic Member
    only thing i know for sure is they say keep chest out do not tuck chin and absolutely do not roll shoulders as seen by 80% of the rest of the people in the gym.
    Last edited by Deezuhl; 08-14-2005 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deezuhl
    only thign i knwo for sure is they say keep chest out do not tuck chin and absolutely do not roll shoulders as seen by 80% of thes rest fo the people int he gym.
    very true... the shoulder roll is quite notorious around my gym... wow!

needbigguns is offline Once Human and Inferior - Now Beast-Like and Superior
    why not shoulder roll

when i do them i start at my sides and lift while trying to touch my shoulder blades together as much i can.

is this ok or am i wasting my time?

devil1 is offline Jacked Jarhead
    Quote Originally Posted by needbigguns
    why not shoulder roll
    no need to roll the shoulders, if you want to target diff parts of the traps shrug at diff angles. rolling your shoulders can lead to injury

devil1 is offline Jacked Jarhead
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Sane
    What is the proper technique for doing shrugs... in regards to head position. I always look directly straight and on occasion tilt my head forward for what I believe is targeting a different area. Are their any rules of thumb with doing shrugs? Do you keep your head straight or tilted forward a bit???
    i alternate from barbell to dumbell almost every shoulder day. when i use a BB i shrug directly up, the with the DB i tuck my chin and shrug to the rear

Ejuicer is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by needbigguns
    why not shoulder roll
    You put yourself at a lot of risk for injury in addition to not having as much emphasis on the traps.

chest6 is offline Banned
    hm..i hold my head up..guess im doing things wrong

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by devil1
    no need to roll the shoulders, if you want to target diff parts of the traps shrug at diff angles. rolling your shoulders can lead to injury
    agreed..

Jerzey is offline Member
    Shrugs are the one shoulder exercise I do heavy, I blew out both of my rotator cuffs years ago in an accident and I can't lift away from my body heavy. My traps and delts are pretty big. I don't roll my shoulders but I do drop my head forward (not chin down, just forward to hit back further) a little and it really works. My delts and traps have double in size over the last year or so (that's not the only exercise I do for them, but it's the most significant IMO).

I always keep my shoulders back though, is that correct? I tend to do that with everything just to keep my form (shoulders back, chest out, head up).

Thread Information