Thread: Soreness

yaston2003 is offline Junior Member

Soreness

Who here doesn't get sore from workouts, but still grows in size and/or strength?

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by yaston2003
    Who here doesn't get sore from workouts, but still grows in size and/or strength?
    You say (but still grows) like you wont if you are not sore, being sore has nothing to do with muscle hypertrophy, It is just a by pass of carbonmonoxide and water, the result is lactic acid this is why you are sore the next day exercise without oxygen.
    Last edited by S.P.G; 08-17-2005 at 04:57 AM.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    IMO, you get sore on exercise that put a tremendous stretch on the targeted muscles. Most people get sore on the bench press, especially if you let the upper arms go below the torso. With this stretching the muscle fibers are overstretched and are damaged as a result. With adequate nutrition and rest, they will overcompensate and become stronger for the next workout so that they are not damaged again. If you want sore biceps, for example, go all out on the incline db curls and see what happens. Keep the upper arms behind the torso for a strong pre-stretch. You'll be a hurting unit the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by striker93
    IMO, you get sore on exercise that put a tremendous stretch on the targeted muscles. Most people get sore on the bench press, especially if you let the upper arms go below the torso. With this stretching the muscle fibers are overstretched and are damaged as a result. With adequate nutrition and rest, they will overcompensate and become stronger for the next workout so that they are not damaged again. If you want sore biceps, for example, go all out on the incline db curls and see what happens. Keep the upper arms behind the torso for a strong pre-stretch. You'll be a hurting unit the next day.
    Yes that is a good point, I also find that I get sore from isometric static contractions to, like holding the middle of a bicep curl.. I find the my triceps are sore after cardio with the girlfriend (if you no what I mean) I have to be careful what position I use so there not sore the next day..lol and that just from holding one position all the time

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Yes that is a good point, I also find that I get sore from isometric static contractions to, like holding the middle of a bicep curl.. I find the my triceps are sore after cardio with the girlfriend (if you no what I mean) I have to be careful what position I use so there not sore the next day..lol and that just from holding one position all the time
    LOL, mines def Low Intensity but Short duration

yaston2003 is offline Junior Member
    Yea, I know soreness does not equal growth. At times, i dont sore but still gain strength and size, alot of my friends believe that they need to be sore inorder to gain strength and size. I try to tell them otherwise, but they wont listen. I wanted to show them that soreness doesn't allways have to happen to get bigger and stronger and that people still get big without being sore. Striker, its true what you said, when I do exercises that stretch my muscles, I get sore the next day.

mark956101957 is offline Anabolic Member
    I don't get as sore when on a cycle and seem to recover faster even though I lift harder when on.

Quote Originally Posted by yaston2003
    Yea, I know soreness does not equal growth. At times, i dont sore but still gain strength and size, alot of my friends believe that they need to be sore inorder to gain strength and size. I try to tell them otherwise, but they wont listen. I wanted to show them that soreness doesn't allways have to happen to get bigger and stronger and that people still get big without being sore. Striker, its true what you said, when I do exercises that stretch my muscles, I get sore the next day.
    If you friends wont listen, don’t worry about it don’t ever talk to them about it, they just sound ignorant, they need a science lesson

Quote Originally Posted by Giantz11
    LOL, mines def Low Intensity but Short duration
    haha thats better than nothing...

Dally is offline The Dally Lama
    I gauge the effectiveness of a workout by the soreness and when it starts getting sore.

If I am sore about 5 to six hours after a workout..or its starting in, I personally think that workout is perfect

if I am extremely sore the next day thats pretty normal .. and a good workout

if I am not sore the next day but I know that something has happened obviously, and really sore the second day....then thats overtraining.

I must say out of 14 years plus I have only been sore a few hours after about 10 to 15 times...

I recently did some static contractions, holding flat bench in my strongest range about 4 inches from lockout for about 10 sets....I am still sore, not as sore as a next day soreness, its about day 3 soreness....

so FOR ME soreness doesnt have to do with stretching the muscle.... I barely fukin moved

tretch187 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mark956101957
    I don't get as sore when on a cycle and seem to recover faster even though I lift harder when on.

LOL

There is a shocking statement. There may be something to these "cycles" afterall. haha.

Thread Information