Redz122 is offline Associate Member

Hunched over after a hard chest session

Hey, I've noticed that these days after a hard chest session, i tend to easily hunch over. I was thinking maybe it has to do something with muscular imbalances in my back since i've been training my chest since like the 6th grade with massive pushups and bombing my chest when i started lifitng weights about 2 years ago. I really can't see my back to correct which portion of it i should strenghten to stand upright so i ask you AR bros to help me out on this one. If you can recommending an exercise(s) would be appreciated. Thanks!

Powerathlete is offline New Member
    What is your current back routine?

ReX357 is offline "Toughest & Best Looking Guy Around Here"
    Stop training your front delts, train your rear delts a lot. Should straighten you up over time.

this is my current chest routine:
    (warm-up)Flat Flyes-2x10
    Flat Bench 3x5
    Incline Bench 3x5
    Abs
    Leg Raises 4x8 SUPERSET Crunches 4x12-14
    Triceps
    CloseGrip Bench-2x5
    DB extension 2x8

My current back routine(one day rest in between chest and back)
    Back
    (warm-up)Widegrip Chins-Do 30 chins in any number of sets, just do 30 no matter what.
    BB Row/Corner Row 4x10
    Biceps
    BB Curl 3x8

EDIT: Should I change my BB row set and rep scheme to a 3x5 just like my chest exercises?
    Last edited by Redz122; 08-18-2005 at 09:48 AM.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by Redz122
    this is my current chest routine:
    (warm-up)Flat Flyes-2x10
    Flat Bench 3x5
    Incline Bench 3x5
    Abs
    Leg Raises 4x8 SUPERSET Crunches 4x12-14
    Triceps
    CloseGrip Bench-2x5
    DB extension 2x8

My current back routine(one day rest in between chest and back)
    Back
    (warm-up)Widegrip Chins-Do 30 chins in any number of sets, just do 30 no matter what.
    BB Row/Corner Row 4x10
    Biceps
    BB Curl 3x8

EDIT: Should I change my BB row set and rep scheme to a 3x5 just like my chest exercises?

To answer your question, yes! Whenever you change your set and rep scheme for chest, do the same with upper back exercises. Chest can be described horizontal pushing and upper back can be described as horizontal pulling. Make sure there is a balance between the two. Lats are to be considered with the lateral and frontal delts. Vertical pulling (lats) are exercises like pulldowns, chins, straight-arm pullovers, etc. Horizontal pushing are exercises like seated shoulder presses, side laterals, frontal raises, etc. Mae sure there is a balance between these as well.

For upper back do corner rows 3x5 and barbell rows 3x5 for muscle balance with chest. Also, add a bent-over laterals for 2x10.
    For biceps do preacher curls 2x8 to create balance with the triceps.

Placing back before chest in the week will get you headed in the right direction. Good luck, bro!

Hey first off, I would like to thank you(striker and the others) for your quick and informative response. I have another question about the advice you laid out for me. When you say that benching is horizontal pushing etc. etc., do you reccommend doing BB rows at 90 degrees with the same grip as the one used when benching?

Edit- Also is it imperative to pull the same amount of weight in the BB row as in the bench press?
    Last edited by Redz122; 08-18-2005 at 07:57 PM.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    No it isn't necessary. I used the terms horizontal pushing and pulling to give you categories to organize your exercises. Your torso could be at a 45 degree angle when doing T-Bar Rows. You could call your categories pecs vs. upper back.

Yes, but only to a certain degree. Try use as much weight on the bb row as your technique will allow. The lower back and legs will be stabilizing so the resistance will be less. With the bench press, your torso and legs are stabilized to a much greater degree.
    Last edited by striker93; 08-18-2005 at 10:45 PM.

Thread Information