NSHOOTER320 is offline Junior Member

Each body part once or twice a week?

Alright fellas, i was wondering if i can get some feedback of what you guys have experienced in lifting each body part once or twice a week. I've only done once a week training for the 3 years i've been lifting hard and it's been good to me but if doing it twice a week provides more gains then i'm going to switch over. But i have a few questions for understanding the twice a week routine. Personally, every time i lift a body part i get sore the next day if not longer, doing it twice a week will definitely lead to overtraining so the only way to overcome that problem is to lower the intensity but will that be sacrificing gains? Or is there a heavy day and light day? Any feedback will be appreciated. thanks.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I just go in and handle business one time per week for each bodypart.

More than that and I lose strength, get tired, sick, run-down, etc.

~SC~

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    If you're natural, it will be nearly impossible to recover fast enough. You'll lose strength and your muscles will be in catabolic state.
    If you're using AAS, you can make excellent gains on twice a week. You will recover fast enough to train this frequently. Just look at Arnold and Ronnie Coleman routines for evidence of this. The problem comes in when you go off cycle. You will not be able to maintain this frequency and you will lose some of your gains as a result.

ward065 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    I just go in and handle business one time per week for each bodypart.

More than that and I lose strength, get tired, sick, run-down, etc.

~SC~
    i second that.....

if you are training each bodypart with very high intensity- you will be cooked until you train it again for your next workout. Anyway, that's how i like to do it.

but, you could train each part twice a week. for example: if you do 4 exercises per bodypart once a week, you could do two exercises per bodypart twice a week. i do not like this idea personally but some like to do it.

ward065 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by striker93
    If you're natural, it will be nearly impossible to recover fast enough. You'll lose strength and your muscles will be in catabolic state.
    If you're using AAS, you can make excellent gains on twice a week. You will recover fast enough to train this frequently. Just look at Arnold and Ronnie Coleman routines for evidence of this. The problem comes in when you go off cycle. You will not be able to maintain this frequency and you will lose some of your gains as a result.
    that could be true- but read the routines of pro's such as mark dugdale, troy alves, and darrem charles.

Each work out each bodypart once per week and only once per week!

Mark Dugdale for some reason does extremely well on relatively low volume only four days per week. You can read his exact routines on his website markdugdale.com. i was actually suprised by the relatively small volume he does, but he is huge...

troy alves is a bit bigger, and he trains each bodypart once a week but with more moderate volume.

I will work each bodypart once a week when I'm bulking up, however some parts are worked twice weekly pre contest or when I'm cycling. However, NOT A FULL BLOWN WORKOUT!!! For example, Sat is my leg day. It consists of 4 sets of squats@ 15-20 reps/set, 3 sets of leg extensions@ 30 reps/set, 3 sets of lying leg curls@ 20 reps/set, 15 laps around a small track lunging. Maybe some calves if I have time, if I dont I'll throw them in with something else. Ok, now it's Wed, day 2 of legs(worked w/ lower back and abs) I will only do my lunges and maybe 2-3 sets of extensions. So as you can see it's like a mini workout. I have gotten excellent ham development from lunging 2x wk too. So every 10-12 weeks or so I'll take a stubborn part and do this with it. I think its more for development than growth, and there is clearly a difference.

Thread Information