Flexor is offline Banned

Barbell curls etc Vs. Compound chins

Everyone says about how barbell curls are the king of the bicep exercises and how hammers and supinators add to them in different ways as well as reverse preachers for the brachs etc, but...

Everyone also knows how heavy compound exercises create bulk muscle the fastest, which is the way i've developed myself so far along with a few other isolation exercises (dips for triceps all the ****ing way!!)

So if compound are so good for tris and pecs and shoulders etc, how come hardly anyone mentions weighted underhand chins as a bicep workout. I haven't done that many and have built my biceps so far using isolation exercises like barbell curls and all the others which has worked alright

Im wondering if I did weighted chins I'd get more bulk in the biceps like i've got in the chest and triceps from dips.

Overhand grip would target the brachialis, brachioradialis and long head of the biceps wouldn't it? So preachers or hammers wouldn't be needed. And underhead chins would just hit the biceps normally, although maybe thats a pretty weak exercise where the lats do all the work ??

Anyone got a lot of experience gaining from chins in the biceps without doing other kinda stuff with them? Cheers

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    This is how I see it: regular-grip chins would hit the brachialis, neutral(or hammer)-grip chins would hit the brachioradialis and long head of the biceps, and reverse-grip chins would hit the biceps overall.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    When I used to do bodybuilding-style workouts, I would start tris with a multi-joint movement like dips or close-grip bench presses. Then I would follow up with single-joint movements french presses, triceps pushdowns, etc. Biceps would be no different. My multi-joint movement would be close-grip chins or neutral-grip chins. Next, I would use single-joint movements like barbell curls, preacher curls, etc. I achieved excellent results.

BITTAPART2 is offline Senior Member
    this is infact a good way to add mass to the biceps by not directly hitting them. Bent barbell rows w/ either grip or underhand grip pulldowns these allow you to use a larger amount of weight and therefore recruit the fast twitch fibers more effectively.

Thread Information