KingMike is offline Associate Member

cardio at 160 BPM for 45 minutes?

I started cardio a while back and lately I cannot keep my heart rate from going to 155-165 BPM after the 15 minute mark. When I am done I feel like I was only at about 120 BPM. I use the bike and walking for this. I am losing fat but not sure if this is normal. Should I go real slow intentionaly to get the heart at around 130-140? I am 6 foot and about 183 with around 13-14% BF. I do cardio on average 9 times a week, 1 on workout days and 2 on non workout days. Hell, last week I was into the usic and not paying attention and my heart was at 180 BPM for about 10 minutes and my breating is always normal, NEVER panting or out of breathe, ever!

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Are you using the machines heart rate monitors? Sometimes these heart rate monitors are not very accurate. I prefer to use the chest strap with watch to monitor my heart rate. Use your own monitor and then compare it to the machines to see if it's accurate. Good luck, bro!

KingMike is offline Associate Member
    The way I gauge heart rate is checking my stop watch every 2-3 minutes and counting the beat for 15 or 30 seconds and then multiply by 2 or 3 depening on the range. This morning I was at 156 BPM on the nose for 40 minutes and by breathing was almost as if I was not even doing cardio, it is so awesome. My lower stomach is shrinking as I speak and my strength in the weight room is up every session.

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KingMike
    The way I gauge heart rate is checking my stop watch every 2-3 minutes and counting the beat for 15 or 30 seconds and then multiply by 2 or 3 depening on the range. This morning I was at 156 BPM on the nose for 40 minutes and by breathing was almost as if I was not even doing cardio, it is so awesome. My lower stomach is shrinking as I speak and my strength in the weight room is up every session.
    That's basically the way I do it. Probably not the most accurate but taking your pulse every so often and breathing should let you know where you are at in terms of fat burning. Since FFA oxidation requires oxygen breathing would be a good indicator. If you are gasping for breath you are going too fast.

Thread Information