rixyroids is offline Associate Member

please help! too much pain when running!

hey guys,

at the min im trying to lose some fat. my bf% is very high (like 25% or sumthing!) and i really need to do something about it. im a pretty big guy as it is, so i reckon that if i lost the fat or got down to a nice 10% or so, i would have the confidence to enter a show and feel i could win (sorry if i seem arrogant!)

the problem is, i havnt done any cardio in almost 2 years because of a serious knee injury (hence the fat gain) and iv tried starting back over ther past few weeks. the thing is is that when i run, i can only go for about 2 or 3 minutes before my ankles are in complete agony, and it hurts to stand up nevermind walk, run or jog!

iv always read that running is the best for losing weight bcause im carrying my own lard arse around, but i dont feel i can continue doing this (maybe its to do with my weight, im roughly 240lbs!)

can you suggest anything else i can do for cardio? i would go swimming and cycling no problem, the problem is is that i dont know if i would feel like i have worked as hard

any help is greatly appreciated

thanks guys

KeyMastur is offline VET
    try an elliptical machine. swimming is great and works total body. cycling is great on the legs - and is fun when done outdoors.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Not only is running something that will burn glycogen and lean muscle INSTEAD of fat, when you are out of shape and have injuries that is the LAST thing you'd want to be doing.

Try 45 mins. at 65-75% of your MHR using an eliptical trainer as Key suggested, a recumbent bike, etc. Low to no impact cardio that burns FAT for fuel, not high impact cardio that burns glycogen and lean muscle tissue.

~SC~

thanks swole, i wasnt expecting a reply from the man himself but il get into what your suggesting!

thanks a lot guys

Give it a shot! I think you'll find it serves you well!

~SC~

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Not only is running something that will burn glycogen and lean muscle INSTEAD of fat, when you are out of shape and have injuries that is the LAST thing you'd want to be doing.

Try 45 mins. at 65-75% of your MHR using an eliptical trainer as Key suggested, a recumbent bike, etc. Low to no impact cardio that burns FAT for fuel, not high impact cardio that burns glycogen and lean muscle tissue.

~SC~
    If you have a low protein high carb meal..ur good to go

but not in his case..low intensity cardio is wut hes looking for

Flexor is offline Banned
    Do the cardio in the morning on a near empty stomach, so just take an energy drink for breakfast and get going.

Low intensity cardio isn't as good as people say it is although obviously it does work. You could try high intensity interval training (like sprints or a fast spinning bike ride, or star jumps etc) which burns more calories than continuous exercise and raises metabolism so that even after exercise your body continues to burn fat, perhaps even for a day.

It will also increase your VO2MAX through the high effort for 15 mins, meaning your body has a higher oxygen capacity and can therefore train harder at whatever you try.

If you get your fat-loss diet into shape but do hours of cardio instead of the fifteen minute high intensity sessions, you will lose muscle that you may have because you aren't feeding your muscles adequately and yet you are demanding so much energy. That's why these short metabolism raising sessions will maintain muscle if...

about one hour after your session you eat breakfast consisting of high-glycaemic foods (with maltodextrin in) as well as protein and a lowish level of fat. The reason is that cortisol which is a catabolic hormone, is produced after the session but it aids in burning fat at the higher rate. However eating one hour afterwards even though you're starving, will prevent cortisol breaking down your muscle.

I'd say don't knock it until you've tried it

Quote Originally Posted by Flexor

Low intensity cardio isn't as good as people say it is.
    Please, enlighten me.

~SC~

You could try high intensity interval training (like sprints or a fast spinning bike ride, or star jumps etc) which burns more calories than continuous exercise and raises metabolism so that even after exercise your body continues to burn fat, perhaps even for a day.
    Burns pure fat for an entire day? No form of cardio does this, no. As soon as carbs are ingested (aka sugars no matter what the GI) lipolysis is blunted. As well, the form of cardio that encourages lipolysis (use of stored bodyfat for fuel) is LISS, not HIIT which is over the appropriate heart-rate threshold to use fat for fuel for the cardio session.

Believe me, it's my living.

~SC~

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Do the cardio in the morning on a near empty stomach, so just take an energy drink for breakfast and get going.

Low intensity cardio isn't as good as people say it is although obviously it does work. You could try high intensity interval training (like sprints or a fast spinning bike ride, or star jumps etc) which burns more calories than continuous exercise and raises metabolism so that even after exercise your body continues to burn fat, perhaps even for a day.

It will also increase your VO2MAX through the high effort for 15 mins, meaning your body has a higher oxygen capacity and can therefore train harder at whatever you try.

If you get your fat-loss diet into shape but do hours of cardio instead of the fifteen minute high intensity sessions, you will lose muscle that you may have because you aren't feeding your muscles adequately and yet you are demanding so much energy. That's why these short metabolism raising sessions will maintain muscle if...

about one hour after your session you eat breakfast consisting of high-glycaemic foods (with maltodextrin in) as well as protein and a lowish level of fat. The reason is that cortisol which is a catabolic hormone, is produced after the session but it aids in burning fat at the higher rate. However eating one hour afterwards even though you're starving, will prevent cortisol breaking down your muscle.

I'd say don't knock it until you've tried it
    First of all you make some good points, I agree that the EPOC of HIIT training is certainly higher than Low-Intensity Cardio. However you also fail to make a few "other" points. You will need to structure nutrition around this cardio and not only have a pro/carb meal after but before as well. This makes this a bit more complicated when training twice in one day. Also weight training does the same thing as HIIT cardio, so why nbot have both in one day. Low Intensity cardio shows a prefence for releasing FFA's from adipose tissue, which is a major benefit. Not to mention that aerobic exersice also is hsown to increase mitochondrial density in muscle fibers, therefore allowing one to oxidize more FFA's.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Well you put it so nicely, i'm gonna believe you

Well you put it so nicely, i'm gonna believe you
    Not sure who this was directed to myself or Giantz, but you don't need to roll your eyes. No one was demeaning at all when they answered, but if you feel threatened by the intelligence level here you can always choose to not post.

~SC~

Flexor is offline Banned
    The rolling eyes simply implied a sigh.

I don't feel threatened by the intelligence level because I'm highly intelligent. Perhaps what you should have said was the knowledge level, there is a difference

And no I'm not threatened by that because I know that I can go out there and learn, now threatened by your muscles? Yes, now that would be true since I'm currently a lightweight and only have a goal of 14.5" arms, currently 13.25"

I know the responses weren't demeaning, they were helpful...

Cool beans!

~SC~

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Flexor I do think that HIIT does have its place,a nd you makde a few good points. i actually think that I might try doing some sprints on days that I don't weigh train and see how I feel. The good thing about doing this type of cardio is that it won't matter what time its done. So I can get home and do some sprints after work and it will be much like a weight training session. As for doing HIIT and Weights on the same day, NO THANKS!

chest6 is offline Banned
    elliptical is where its at..45 mins in the morning on an empty stomach low intensity...works very well for me. Also, it is very easy on the knees..which is good seeing that your knees arent that great in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Burns pure fat for an entire day? No form of cardio does this, no. As soon as carbs are ingested (aka sugars no matter what the GI) lipolysis is blunted. As well, the form of cardio that encourages lipolysis (use of stored bodyfat for fuel) is LISS, not HIIT which is over the appropriate heart-rate threshold to use fat for fuel for the cardio session.

Believe me, it's my living.

~SC~
    dont mean to sound like a dumbass, tho im sure i do, but what is LISS??

thanks

Flexor is offline Banned
    low intensity cardio not high intensity

The absolute best cardio I've found is a brisk walk(3.5mph) at the full incline on a treadmill.Unless I have shin splints, then I'll lower it to halfway.

Flexor is offline Banned
    incline walking sure does pump those calves

Thread Information