jersey juice is offline Member

Switching from strength training to bodybuilding

I've been powerlifting now for 3 years seriously and lifting for 5. I am really starting to feel it in my joints and knees now and want to do more bodybuilding then just strength training. I want to keep the basics in my training like squats on leg day, benching on chest day and deadlifts on back day, but more for form and sculpting. Along with assistance movements can anyone help me put together a decent plan? ex:

Sun: (all reps between 4-8)
    db laterals 3 sets
    military presses 4 sets
    bentover laterals
    behind neck presses

Mon: (same rep scheme)
    squats 5 sets
    leg press 3 sets
    leg extensions 3 sets
    standing leg curls 3 sets
    calves 5 sets

Wed: (same)
    flat bench 4 sets
    db incline 4 sets
    dips 4 sets
    barbell curls 4 sets
    db curls 3 sets
    hammer curls 2 sets

Fri (same)
    deadlifts 4 sets
    bentover bb row 3 sets
    seated rows 3 sets
    lat pulldown 4 sets
    db row (alternating weeks with seated rows) 3 sets

I think I have a good mixup going now, but I feel like I'm starting into a rut. I have an excellent base, nice thickness I just want to start bringing out all the years of hard work and make my physique more asthetic while keeping my size and a good portion of strength. Obviously I want to grow more, but heavy doubles & singles are really starting to play on my joints and I'm too young for that shit.

DevilsDeity is offline Anabolic Member
    you could probably keep your workout the same but adjust your diet
    to define your muscles more, you might even want to bump your reps up to 10 on each set

jbrand is offline Member

Re: Switching from strength training to bodybuilding

Originally posted by jersey juice
    I've been powerlifting now for 3 years seriously and lifting for 5. I am really starting to feel it in my joints and knees now and want to do more bodybuilding then just strength training. I want to keep the basics in my training like squats on leg day, benching on chest day and deadlifts on back day, but more for form and sculpting. Along with assistance movements can anyone help me put together a decent plan? ex:

Sun: (all reps between 4-8)
    db laterals 3 sets
    military presses 4 sets
    bentover laterals
    behind neck presses

Mon: (same rep scheme)
    squats 5 sets
    leg press 3 sets
    leg extensions 3 sets
    standing leg curls 3 sets
    calves 5 sets

Wed: (same)
    flat bench 4 sets
    db incline 4 sets
    dips 4 sets
    barbell curls 4 sets
    db curls 3 sets
    hammer curls 2 sets

Fri (same)
    deadlifts 4 sets
    bentover bb row 3 sets
    seated rows 3 sets
    lat pulldown 4 sets
    db row (alternating weeks with seated rows) 3 sets

I think I have a good mixup going now, but I feel like I'm starting into a rut. I have an excellent base, nice thickness I just want to start bringing out all the years of hard work and make my physique more asthetic while keeping my size and a good portion of strength. Obviously I want to grow more, but heavy doubles & singles are really starting to play on my joints and I'm too young for that shit.
    Some of the greatest bodybuilding routines I've used have been originated by the great minds of strength coaches. For example, the eastern bloc used to use GVT as a means of pre-planned overtraining, followed by periods of significantly lower volume, in which "tapering" from an extremely high volume protocol -> low volume is a great way not only to stimulate both fast and slow twitch muscle fibers but also will leave you with impressive strength gains.

What differentiates power lifters from bodybuilders IMO is time under tension. Don't think of time under tension as simply the time it takes to complete a set, I am talking total time under tension (tempo x volume) in a given workout. In other words, the fact that you are already an advocate of compound movements is definetely a plus. Try using pre-planned tempo strategies, in which the weight is further controlled (be sure to rest for a second between the eccentric/concentric). Hope this helps.

jersey juice is offline Member
    JBRAND, great advice!!! It really makes sense. I guess swallow my ego a bit (like we all don't have one) and use lower weights. As far as tapering could you explain a little more, I think I understand, but would feel more comfortable with an explanation like a 12 week periodized training circuit or 8 weeks

jbrand is offline Member
    Originally posted by jersey juice
    JBRAND, great advice!!! It really makes sense. I guess swallow my ego a bit (like we all don't have one) and use lower weights. As far as tapering could you explain a little more, I think I understand, but would feel more comfortable with an explanation like a 12 week periodized training circuit or 8 weeks
    Poliquin has outlined this rather extensively. You probably have heard of (or even used) German Volume Training (10x10 protocol). The Eastern Bloc used to use similar protocols with the pre-planned notion that their body would be in an overtrained state. After 4 weeks or so of this high volume routine they would quickly alter loading parameters (periodization) so that the weights were significantly higher and the rep-range was lower. The mean weight for GVT is somewhere around 60% 1RM, when they dropped the high volume approach they would immediately cut their training to 4-6RM loads and do as little as 3 sets per bodypart. I tried this a bunch of times, coming off intense regimens such as GVT and a similar protocol that Jerry Telle outlined (it was pretty much GVT with varied weight loads).

Thread Information