Redrock20 is offline Junior Member

bench press routine?

Hey guys. Just wondering if any of you know a good mass workout for bench press. I need a set/rep count that is designed for size. Any help here? . . . Please dont answer if you have no clue what your taking about.

chest6 is offline Banned
    4 sets 8
    4 sets 8 db incline
    4 sets decline?
    u can try anything on bench..depends what your goals are strength or size

TCEL300 is offline Member
    what is a good workout for ya chest if you are going for size...right now im doing:

4x incline DB start with the 65 for 10 (warm up) 75 for 8-10....85 for 6-8..then 70 for 10
    4xbench 185x10 205x10 225x8 245x4..then just 145 burnout
    4x flys of some sort...sometime switch it up hit the pec deck or cables of free weight flys
    3x weight dips dont count my warm up....go with 45 8-10...70 8-10..and 90 for 4-6

I havnt tried to max out in a while anyone have an idea where i would be if i went in fresh and hit the bench?...any tips would help

Keyser Sozey is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TCEL300
    what is a good workout for ya chest if you are going for size...right now im doing:

4x incline DB start with the 65 for 10 (warm up) 75 for 8-10....85 for 6-8..then 70 for 10<---Is this a drop set? Personally, I do not like to lower the weight on the last set. Unless it is a drop set/descending set. I theorize (hence the phrase), that the last weight you do, is what the muscle remebers. So, instead of droppin to 70, stay at 85, or hit up 90s.
    4xbench 185x10 205x10 225x8 245x4..then just 145 burnout Again, I would stay at 245, and try another 4 reps.4x flys of some sort...sometime switch it up hit the pec deck or cables of free weight flys I would stick w the flyes, unless you are going to a show and need to do cables.
    3x weight dips dont count my warm up....go with 45 8-10...70 8-10..and 90 for 4-6 This sounds good to me

I havnt tried to max out in a while anyone have an idea where i would be if i went in fresh and hit the bench?...any tips would help What I just listed above will help
    Also, A strong bench/chest is directly related to strong tris, delts, and back.
    Last edited by Keyser Sozey; 08-18-2005 at 10:41 PM.

I have been lifting for almost a decade and a half. I have pressed 455 for 8 reps. I would say this qualifies me to answer....
    The irony, is that I tore my pec w the same weight. Go figure!

Quote Originally Posted by Redrock20
    Hey guys. Just wondering if any of you know a good mass workout for bench press. I need a set/rep count that is designed for size. Any help here? . . . Please dont answer if you have no clue what your taking about.
    I have no idea what your numbers (as far as lifting go), but I will attempt to give you something.

Flat Bench BBell 135 X 15 reps; 185 X 10 reps; 205 X 10 reps; 225 X 8 reps; 235 X 6 reps; 245 X 4 reps

Incline Bench BBell 165 X 10 reps; 185 X 8 reps; 205 X 6 reps; 225 X 4 reps

Incline DB Flyes 30 X 10 reps; 40 X 8 reps; 50 X 6 reps; 60 X 4 reps

Like I said, I don't know what your numbers are, but this is the general idea.
    Last edited by Keyser Sozey; 08-18-2005 at 10:42 PM.

znak is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Sozey
    I have no idea what your numbers (as far as lifting go), but I will attempt to give you something.

Flat Bench BBell 135 X 15 reps; 185 X 10 reps; 205 X 10 reps; 225 X 8 reps; 235 X 6 reps; 245 X 4 reps

Incline Bench BBell 165 X 10 reps; 185 X 8 reps; 205 X 6 reps; 225 X 4 reps

Incline DB Flyes 30 X 10 reps; 40 X 8 reps; 50 X 6 reps; 60 X 4 reps

Like I said, I don't know what your numbers are, but this is the general idea.
    This approach is the absolute meat and potatos of chest work-outs. Only thing that I do that is different is I do six sets (like Key recommend on flat BB) and the last two reps of each last set are assisted. If you want growth, don't leave anything in the gym. Chest is the main reason I work out with a partner, You cannot work to failure safely by yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by znak
    Chest is the main reason I work out with a partner, You cannot work to failure safely by yourself.
    Agree 100%^^^^^^^^^^With a partner, you can do some of those sets to fail, and also negatives, which will make your bench soar.
    Good Call Znak

chest6 is offline Banned
    Agree 100%^^^^^^^^^^With a partner, you can do some of those sets to fail, and also negatives, which will make your bench soar.
    Good Call Znak
    negatives have helped me out a lot lately I would go 40 lbs more than your max and double it

NSHOOTER320 is offline Junior Member
    Yea Keyser i love doing those three, the only thing i do differently and i recomment to try just for a change is super setting incline flies and incline press. It burns so good.

Quote Originally Posted by NSHOOTER320
    Yea Keyser i love doing those three, the only thing i do differently and i recomment to try just for a change is super setting incline flies and incline press. It burns so good.
    Yup, always change it up. I just put these for simplicity. However, even though my routine (as far as days and bodyparts trained) stays the same, I will change the exercises, reps, do pre-exhaust, etc.
    Good Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    negatives have helped me out a lot lately I would go 40 lbs more than your max and double it
    Chest, this is a great strategy. When you are repping with 300+ (if you are not already), take extra measure, and make sure you are quite warm.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Chest, this is a great strategy. When you are repping with 300+ (if you are not already), take extra measure, and make sure you are quite warm.
    Ya I am..I always do quite a few warm up sets before my work sets

Is that you in your avatar?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*Edit* sorry to temporarily hijack, but someone asked Chest this once, and I busted out laughing.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Is that you in your avatar?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*Edit* sorry to temporarily hijack, but someone asked Chest this once, and I busted out laughing.
    Holy shit I just laughed for like 30 seconds...plleasse find it for me i havent seen it yet...after that first sentence i was like wtf i hope it says jk down below lol

Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    Holy shit I just laughed for like 30 seconds...plleasse find it for me i havent seen it yet...after that first sentence i was like wtf i hope it says jk down below lol
    LMAO, I can't find it. A search only gave me your last 500 posts. The post I am speaking of was made in mid to late july. You had the avvy of Ronnie w a sleeveless shirt sitting down and listening to his head phones.
    You gave the guy some advice, and he was like "Thanks bro, I aprreciate it. Btw, is that you in your avatar, b/c you are huge." The next five replies were like "No man, that would be Ronnie Coleman." <-------nearly pissed myself.

chest6 is offline Banned
    LMAO, I can't find it. A search only gave me your last 500 posts. The post I am speaking of was made in mid to late july. You had the avvy of Ronnie w a sleeveless shirt sitting down and listening to his head phones.
    You gave the guy some advice, and he was like "Thanks bro, I aprreciate it. Btw, is that you in your avatar, b/c you are huge." The next five replies were like "No man, that would be Ronnie Coleman." <-------nearly pissed myself.
    hahaha lmao that is great...i am determined to find that..i dont know how but ill try.

Thread Information