kaptainkeezy04 is offline Anabolic Member

Seems that people overtrain on here.

Sorry if I'm incorrect but why is it that I see people on here doing 12 or even 15 sets on biceps and triceps??? I think this is just a bit overtraining considering you only do 12-15 sets on chest, back, and legs, and those muscles are a lot bigger than your biceps and triceps. Think about what you do for your back workout...
    You prob do 2 light sets of pulldowns and then 3 heavy sets and 2 light sets of deadlifts then 3 heavy sets then 3 heavy barbell rows and 3 heavy tbar rows for a total of 12 heavy sets (16 including the light sets) atleast that is what i do...just 12-16 sets for your whole back which is huge compared to just your bis and tris.
    Now for bis and tris i just superset 2 light sets of skullcrushers and barbell curls then do 3 heavy sets of them...then i superset 3 heavy close grip bench press and 3 hammer curls...always doing the swolecat "torch method" 3 seconds down 2 seconds up...and my arms are pumped and certainly dont wanna do anymore. Am I undertraining or are the people doing the 12-15 sets on bis and 12-15 sets on tris overtraining?

chest6 is offline Banned
    i dont really see what you are talking about. Some people that hit smaller muscles for 12-15 sets swear by it and they say they wont grow unless they hit them with this high volume. Most people on here work 8-10 sets that I have seen.

ward065 is offline Member
    everyone's different.......what may be overtraining for one person may not be overtraining for another.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ward065
    everyone's different.......what may be overtraining for one person may not be overtraining for another.
    he said it

i see...just wondering if i should try this to see how my body reacts or if it would be a waste of time.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainkeezy04
    i see...just wondering if i should try this to see how my body reacts or if it would be a waste of time.
    im gonna try it

There is overtraining, and there is undertraining. But in the end, the only way the muscle will grow is when it is forced to and subjected to an overload. That overload can be either from weight, and it can be from volume as well. My goal is to always keep the body guessing. This is my back workout right now;

4 sets of wide grip pullups(10 reps/set)
    4 sets of Tbar rows(20-25 reps/set currently using 4 45lb plates)
    3 sets of bent over barbell rows(underhand grip) 10-12 reps/set w/ 225lbs.
    3-4 sets of heavy one arm cable rows(15 reps/set)

Lower back burn

4 sets of deadlifts(heavy, 6 reps/set starting w/ 335lbs and ending around 520lbs)
    4 sets of hyperextensions, holding 45 lb plate, 15 reps/set

As you can see it's quite a bitch, but look at how i'm setting myself up to grow when I change the routine and drop all that crap to just 2-3 different exercises maximum, and lower the sets. I'll have a shitload of energy and strength because I'm so used to the volume. So my theory on it is overtraining today may set yourself up for more growth tomorrow. In bodybuilding, you often have to take 2 steps back to take another step forward.

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    i dont really see what you are talking about. Some people that hit smaller muscles for 12-15 sets swear by it and they say they wont grow unless they hit them with this high volume. Most people on here work 8-10 sets that I have seen.
    agreed..... 6-8 small 8-10 lage

ccriderss is offline New Member
    u also gotta think about how much weight is going into it and how many reps are in each set... maybe the person that is doing 12-15 sets is doing lighter weight and is not overtraining

thers no such thing as overtraining, just underjuicing,heheehe

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stayinstacked
    thers no such thing as overtraining, just underjuicing,heheehe
    well you and i both know you can still overtrain on juice

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    I have found that ONE set of ONE exercise (only one set per muscle group) (treating back as 3, lats, upper and lower back, and 2 sets for legs) combined with extreme eating for me is suffficient for gains. I am talking about adding new muscle each and every workout. Killing the logbook every workout. My numbers after 9 months of doing this is has amazed the **** out of me when i look back.

Zapp is offline Banned
    Sorry if I'm incorrect but why is it that I see people on here doing 12 or even 15 sets on biceps and triceps??? I think this is just a bit overtraining considering you only do 12-15 sets on chest, back, and legs, and those muscles are a lot bigger than your biceps and triceps. Think about what you do for your back workout...
    You prob do 2 light sets of pulldowns and then 3 heavy sets and 2 light sets of deadlifts then 3 heavy sets then 3 heavy barbell rows and 3 heavy tbar rows for a total of 12 heavy sets (16 including the light sets) atleast that is what i do...just 12-16 sets for your whole back which is huge compared to just your bis and tris.
    Now for bis and tris i just superset 2 light sets of skullcrushers and barbell curls then do 3 heavy sets of them...then i superset 3 heavy close grip bench press and 3 hammer curls...always doing the swolecat "torch method" 3 seconds down 2 seconds up...and my arms are pumped and certainly dont wanna do anymore. Am I undertraining or are the people doing the 12-15 sets on bis and 12-15 sets on tris overtraining?
    You think 12 or 15 sets is bad.....I do 20 for bi's and tri's!

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    Some people that hit smaller muscles for 12-15 sets swear by it and they say they wont grow unless they hit them with this high volume.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapp
    You are one of the ones I was talking about

If you do 20 sets on bis and 20 sets on tris, how many sets do you do for legs? 30???

j martini is offline Member
    Well for legs i do 34 sets total thats Quads and Hams and my legs are my best bodypart.

Zapp is offline Banned
    If you do 20 sets on bis and 20 sets on tris, how many sets do you do for legs? 30???
    As a matter of fact......it is around 30 counting quads and hams!

How long is your average time in the gym on one training day? Im only in there an hour, I guess yall must be able to take more if you are on juice...im just natural...like today i did 3 supersets of leg extensions and leg curls then I did 4 heavy sets of squats for 12 reps and 3 heavy sets of leg presses for 12 reps and i assure you, my legs were dead dead dead! I could feel the acid in my legs. I almost took the elevator downstairs and even when i got home I could barely walk outta my car...now why is this? My rest time is usually a minute to a minute and a half. Do yall rest longer? Can your muscles take more because they are bigger or because you've been working out longer than me? Now when i say the squats and leg presses were heavy, Im talkin bout they wanted to quit at rep seven and I had to force myself and I was screamin to make it to rep 12. Do I train more intensely than yall? Someone explain please.

Zapp is offline Banned
    Never really pay attention to time in-between sets. If I do 8 sets of squats (2 being warm ups), it usually takes me around 50 minuites I guess. Getting back to the overtraining... Not saying that my way is the way everyone should workout, it just works for me. Some people such as Yates and Dugdale only do 1 to 2 sets on different exercicises and swear by it. What works for some, doesn't work for others. You just have to do what your body tells you.

SinCityMan is offline Junior Member
    one thing i think that you need to keep in mind is that most of us use our bicep and tricep muscles more frequently than our major back muscles. Similarly some people's calfs (mine) wont grow without tons of sets. When ever you feel the muscle pumped to where you want it to be is when i would stop.

Never really pay attention to time in-between sets. If I do 8 sets of squats (2 being warm ups), it usually takes me around 50 minuites I guess. Getting back to the overtraining... Not saying that my way is the way everyone should workout, it just works for me. Some people such as Yates and Dugdale only do 1 to 2 sets on different exercicises and swear by it. What works for some, doesn't work for others. You just have to do what your body tells you.
    Damn if it takes you 50 minutes to do 8 sets of squats and you say you do around 30 sets on leg day, so you must be in the gym like 2 hours...i would go into such a catabolic state after waiting an hour after my shake to workout and then be in the gym for 2 hours and then have my next meal 30 minutes later...thats 3 1/2 hours with out food...i would atrophy like woah!

checkmate? lol just kidding sorta

bor
    bor is offline D-bol Poppin'
    Everybody is different, yall might think Zapp is overtraining but I think his pic speaks for itself

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by bor
    Everybody is different, yall might think Zapp is overtraining but I think his pic speaks for itself
    agreed.........but $hit 30 for legs...

G-Force is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IronReload04
    I have found that ONE set of ONE exercise (only one set per muscle group) (treating back as 3, lats, upper and lower back, and 2 sets for legs) combined with extreme eating for me is suffficient for gains. I am talking about adding new muscle each and every workout. Killing the logbook every workout. My numbers after 9 months of doing this is has amazed the **** out of me when i look back.

now i know that would never work for me

JP1
    JP1 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by S.P.G
    agreed.........but $hit 30 for legs...

if you counted hams in there its only 15 per bodypart. it not 30 just for quads

Thread Information