justme is offline Associate Member

Question free weights or weight machines?

Hi,

Looking to see what people prefer for working out. I enjoy using both, but somepeople have told me that it is better to use stricly free weights and a cardio machine while others have told me it doesn't matter.
    well does it matter?

Justme

bex
    bex is offline Banned
    Free weight every time as they use more muscle IE stabilizing muscles.M/C do a lot of work for you...

chris245 is offline Junior Member
    free weights all the time

BigMike J is offline Anabolic Member
    incorporate free weights into your work out at ever opporutnity allowed, machines are good if you have an injury or just want a false sence of strength, but imo they suck

devilscabanaboy19 is offline Associate Member
    Depends on what body part you are working. I don't think the calves or some back development can be achieved without machines. But I agree with the others above that free weights should be used as much as possible with machines being more of a supplement to your workout.

broncojosh is offline Senior Member
    besides using like cable pushdowns, 99% of my workout is freeweights

jbrand is offline Member
    machines are part of an international conspiracy to maintain the "pencil neck" status quo. JMO.

NightOp is offline Member
    Like the guys said... free weights as much as possible.. Machines have to be used for some tricep and back work (IE. pushdowns/pulldowns) (maybe some crossovers for chest)... but build your routine around large compound free weight exercises (ie. squats, incline press, overhead press, deadlifts, etc....).

I will say that machines are good for extra stuff and pre-exhaustion work such as doing half reps on the bicep curl machine... Free weights can often fail to work the entire range of motion as well as machines, because for instance on bicep curls, as the bar moves past the half way point the angle changes and gravity mean that you aren't pulling as hard as you would be at the top of the rep (and bottom) as you would be at the middle and as you would be using a machine that has constant resistance despite gravity/angles. (think about how easy it is to push a swing at the bottom.. then think about pushing it forward (up rather) when the swing rope is parallel to the ground)...

Machines arent all bad
    Last edited by NightOp; 04-29-2002 at 07:16 PM.

Ajax is offline Senior Member
    Use the best tool for the job. Both have advantages. Don't be dogmatic!

ironmike7000 is offline Associate Member
    In my opinion you can't beat free weights over weight machines. I do everything with free weights that I can. There is some advantages with some weight machines though. Example would be leg extensions, tri pushdowns, lat pulls...ect. I do at least 90-95% of my workouts with free weights.

Darkknight442 is offline Associate Member
    i agree with night op. But i really do feel machines give you a false sense of strength. Wehn i fist started i remeber putting up a hight weight on the bench press machine likw 185 or osmehting. The i went with some poeple and tried the barbell at 150 or somehting, i don't think i got a full rep up hahahaha i looked like an ass lol But you do need machines as they said. Usually for back and the cables are good too for some shoulder and tri's

$uperman is offline Member
    most of my workout is w/ free weights but i do like to change it up everyonce and a while. i usally worm up w/ some legs curls and hamstring curls. every few weeks ill change my arm work out to the cables and use the curl machine a lil bit.

A_Nice is offline Associate Member
    Machines have their time and place but I get so much a better stretch and range of movement with free weights, it just feels better.. I also feel like they challenge my muscles more because you have to use balance and form.

03733+$ is offline Associate Member
    Free wieghts I use the most but I try to switch my routine up so that my body doesnt get used to the same exercises all the time. So I do get into using machines and they seem to hit the muscles just a little different than the free wieghts. I strive for my muscles to be soar after every work out! and if I go and do the same routine they wont be!

dumbells101 is offline Senior Member
    Barbells and dumbells will allow you to work the stabilizers and your independant sides (left/right) as well. Machines have their place, especially if there you train alone and want to train to failure. In that case I'd use the machines in a coumpound or giant set with a dumbell or barbell movement. ! major benefit with machines is for beginner or older trainees that have limited muscle control, however they too must train for stability.

bizznach is offline Associate Member
    free!!!!

voodoo12 is offline New Member
    for me it really depends on whats most effective and i get tempted to try all sorts, i do have a passion for free wieghts but sometimes i get put off i see dumbass flat and incline benches which are designed wrong. sometimes it really depends if you workput by youself or with a spotter. in my opinion its all got to do with feel, effectiveness and progression of which muscle you are training.sometimes i train on free weights and get a shitty feel like it was a waste of time so i try a machine for a few workouts then go back to free weights and really blast through a workout with a great pump and vica versa. maybe the trick is to spice your workout up with different excercises.

tie
    tie is offline Junior Member
    Free weights are my preference almost every time.

Thread Information