Jakspro is offline Member

You can't be walking....

So I got a Chest strap heart monitor to make sure i'm in my target heart zone when i run the block in the mornin and noticed that i made my way into 60%-70% heart rate by just a fast walk. Though at the gym it seemed i always needed to do a slight jog to hit 135-140 BPM... Figure the Mills at the gym aren't to accurate, but really... WALKING? Anyone else hit their zone speed walkin, and if so, any other alternatives that won't make me hate my life every morning as I "walk" the block for an hour, or am i stuck... ehhh

mitch911 is offline Member
    your stuck get yourself a good mp3 player and listen to music and enjoy the view

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakspro
    So I got a Chest strap heart monitor to make sure i'm in my target heart zone when i run the block in the mornin and noticed that i made my way into 60%-70% heart rate by just a fast walk. Though at the gym it seemed i always needed to do a slight jog to hit 135-140 BPM... Figure the Mills at the gym aren't to accurate, but really... WALKING? Anyone else hit their zone speed walkin, and if so, any other alternatives that won't make me hate my life every morning as I "walk" the block for an hour, or am i stuck... ehhh
    No way I would hit it walking bro, you must be seriously unfit, what is your resting heart rate? and how much do you weigh?
    Last edited by S.P.G; 08-24-2005 at 05:23 AM.

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch911
    your stuck get yourself a good mp3 player and listen to music and enjoy the view

GirlyGirl is offline Female Member
    Outdoor activity will always cause a slightly higher HR than in the gym-weather, terrain changes (even what seems flat has changes compared to a treadmill) and the chest straps (I"m asssuming it's a Polar) are very accurate, as where grabbing onto the handles of a machine for a few seconds, not so much. Go by your monitor, grab some tunes, and find some good scenery! You can also use the tradmill at the gym at 1% incline, use your chest strap monitor and see what it says-supposedly a t-mill at 1% is close to mimicking outdoor walking/running.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlyGirl
    Outdoor activity will always cause a slightly higher HR than in the gym-weather, terrain changes (even what seems flat has changes compared to a treadmill) and the chest straps (I"m asssuming it's a Polar) are very accurate, as where grabbing onto the handles of a machine for a few seconds, not so much. Go by your monitor, grab some tunes, and find some good scenery! You can also use the tradmill at the gym at 1% incline, use your chest strap monitor and see what it says-supposedly a t-mill at 1% is close to mimicking outdoor walking/running.
    Excellent advice! Swimming is much the same with the environmental factors. When you measure your heart rate on the treadmill, the monitors are measuring your rate from your hands. With the Polar chest strap, it's closer to your heart and thus more accurate.

D9S0M is offline Associate Member
    i have the polar chest strap and love it...I hit my zone walkin on an incline @ 3mph...

305GUY is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D9S0M
    i have the polar chest strap and love it...I hit my zone walkin on an incline @ 3mph...
    I'm interested in this Polar chest strap. could you tell me what model number you use, or recommend.

Got the F6 Polar... oh and nah man i'm not "Too" unfit bro, but thats relative i guess, sitting between 15-16 BF%... true needs to be less but all with time, more interested in putting on some more lean muscle before a mass cut... since summer is almost over and all, who knows i got some long term goals and will reach them, not really concerned with "Instant gradification" but more about grinding hard for whats about to happen...

305GUY is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakspro
    Got the F6 Polar... oh and nah man i'm not "Too" unfit bro, but thats relative i guess, sitting between 15-16 BF%... true needs to be less but all with time, more interested in putting on some more lean muscle before a mass cut... since summer is almost over and all, who knows i got some long term goals and will reach them, not really concerned with "Instant gradification" but more about grinding hard for whats about to happen...
    Thanx for the info and keep on GRINDIN!

oh and my resting is like 88-90 right now but i just finished workin out an hour ago and am still kinda pumped... i also weigh 170 at 15-16 BF%... normal?

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    what i noticed, is with some time down the road, you notice you can work a hell of a lot harder and keep in the target heart rate zone. I dont use the moniter anymore. I like to go by my breathing. I do as much work as i possible can without breathing heavy. I feel that is more accurate than a heart rate monitor.

Thread Information