cacti is offline Junior Member

Red face Stupid Question..

Ok.. so how much does an empty barbell typically weigh, and do you calculate this into the total poundage when you say how much you bench/squat? Told you it was a stupid question, but you'll have to forgive me as I've only been in the gym for 3 months! Started around 140-145 and as of right now I weigh 162 - just 3 pounds from my original goal weight so I'm really happy about that.

So I'm benching with a 45lbs plate on each side(I know, pathetic, but remember 3 months!) but would I say I bench 90 or is it 90 + ?? If I had to guess I would say the bar weighs around 40 or 50(which means 140ish total.. sounds much better to me!) but I'm hoping it is a standard that someone will be able to tell me for sure. Thanks.. don't laugh! Ok, go ahead
    Last edited by cacti; 08-28-2005 at 11:48 PM.

ttuprincess is offline Anabolic Member
    a smith squat machine bar weights 15 lbs ....

a regualr olimpic bar bell weights 45

and yes you add those weights to the plates on the side when calculating your total lift

Ok, thanks.. so it's 135 bench then.

Captain_test is offline Associate Member
    Hahaha a girl answered the question...burn! Just messin Cacti..Hey everyone has to start out somewhere, You're lookin ripped up already, and that's a great amount of weight to gain for your body type. Keep it up homie

Dude, I'm used to it, and believe me I'm laughing too- in highschool phys ed weight training I weighed ~115 and had to be paired up with the girls cause I couldn't lift anywhere near any of the guys.

I'm feeling a bit more self confident these days needless to say!

That's awesome bro...Just so you know, I have a friend who looked skinnier than you in High School...tall ass dude, he was so much more dedicated to lifting than I was too, anyways, now-a-days he's looking awesome, he's still lean as sh!t, but that just makes his muscles/abs/chest that much more cut up lookin. Eat eat and eat, you'll get there. And have a great look too.

Right, well the way I see it, I would much rather be healthier/look better at this time in my life(and getting better everyday) than to have looked good in highschool and lost it all by now and continue going downhill already in early 20s like so many of those guys in my highchool class already.

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    I hate it when ppl add the bar, its like they just do it so the poundage sound more than it is, so if your benching 2 plates side its 80kg but with the bar its 100gk who gives a kcuf …!!! Just make sure your adding weight each week that is all you should be worried about….

ttuprincess is offline Anabolic Member
    but you add the bar because you are actually lifting the bar it is part of the total weight

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by S.P.G
    I hate it when ppl add the bar, its like they just do it so the poundage sound more than it is, so if your benching 2 plates side its 80kg but with the bar its 100gk who gives a kcuf …!!! Just make sure your adding weight each week that is all you should be worried about….
    Yea I agree with TTP, your lifting it so therefore its part of the total amount lifted, its got nothing to do with ego (well I suppose a little), but its just commen sence

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer

well I guess most care about how strong they are not only how big they are and giving the correct lifted poundage seems like the resonable thing to do right

if I do dips I dont claim Im doing them with my bodyweight if I have a 45ibs plate hanging.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cacti
    Dude, I'm used to it, and believe me I'm laughing too- in highschool phys ed weight training I weighed ~115 and had to be paired up with the girls cause I couldn't lift anywhere near any of the guys.

I'm feeling a bit more self confident these days needless to say!
    Hey i weighed 116 in the same position so I'm not alone although I was never skinny just short, and there was no regulation weight training (pretty fun being paired with girls for stretches though before sprints )

Well now I'm 140 at 5'8", so I guess benching 150 for 8 is good after one year

I also dip with 44lbs added so thats 1.3x my bodyweight, but I guess the lats allow me to do that
    Last edited by Flexor; 08-29-2005 at 12:37 PM.

Believe me, it has nothing to do with ego(I have nothing on 75% of the guys at the gym anyways) but it does make some advice easier to take when I know what numbers to compare with what people are talking about themselves. For example someone had mentioned something about 150lb bench being average for a year in and when I'm thinking about my 3 months there is a big difference between 90 and 135.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cacti
    For example someone had mentioned something about 150lb bench being average for a year in and when I'm thinking about my 3 months there is a big difference between 90 and 135.
    Yes, the weaker you are to start with and the less nervous coordination in your muscles, the quicker you get stronger hence your huge increase in the bench which would not be due to increases in muscle size. Inevitably your strength gains will slow down but should remain increasing well.

I started at 60lbs one year ago, so ive increased my bench by 2.5 times, I'd say there is a big difference between 60 and 150.
    Last edited by Flexor; 08-30-2005 at 03:30 AM.

I have actually increased bench alot, but that's not what I was getting at- I meant that the 90 was not counting the bar and 140 is- so it makes a big difference for me to know what the standard is for calculating the total poundage. But yea, I started a lot lower(don't remember the exact #) but gains are starting to slow for me already. I'll have to start switching between dumbbells and barbells or something to throw it off a bit.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Good idea with the switching. I also found that changing grip width and elbow position was also fundamental in getting huge increases. Just like you I got a sudden spurt midway through the year when I went from 110lbs to 130lbs in just 3 weeks!! You'll probably overtake me soon I'm stuck on 150 for the meantime

Yea..I'd like to hear people say "What's your max bench?"

and then someone replay "well 300...but i guess WITH the bar, 345" everyone should factor the bar in..

Thread Information