Thread: squats....

alo5603 is offline Member

squats....

okay guys need some advice for workout partner. He has a problem doing squats. He cant go down all the way no matter how hard he tries. I have tried to help with his form for some time now but to no avail. Anybody on here has some suggestions for him? He is very strong in the legs, can leg press like 1000lbs for 4-6 reps, just cant squat very good.

alo

Zapp is offline Banned
    Let him start squating on the smith machine. He will better his form from it. It's good to switch back and forth from the rack to the smith anyway. A lot of the pro's are doing that now also.

hmmm, i guess that could help, what is the reason that pro's switch it up?

alo

juicy_brucy is offline Ripped, not bulky
    Some people can't squat due to their ergonomics.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    I had the same problem until I read an article on squatting by Dave Tate, from Westside Barbell Club. You can check it out at t-nation.com. Box squatting should teach him the proper biomechanics for squatting.

SprinterOne is offline Senior Member
    Have him try box squats. Also, make sure his stance isn't too narrow. Lastly, have him squat with super light weights until he acheives the strength/flexibility to go rock bottom, check the ego at the door.

yeah i tell him to check that everyday, cuz he just has to lift so damn heavy that he screws form half the time. Box squats sounds really good. I will see if i can implement them into his routine. I guess if he doesnt want to, i could smack him around a few times but he is one of those guys that is as big as a house with no brains lol, so i dont know if it will do any good.

alo

chest6 is offline Banned
    I agree with the box squats. Try and get him to strenghten his lower back too. Have him do heavy goodmornings with different variations.
    Does he do deadlifts??

he does and is pretty good at it, but i can do more than him and he outweighs me by alot and lifts heavier than i do in everything else but those and squats, i guess his back is out of shape then right? So then deads and good mornings seems like a plan too, as well as box squats. lol, he aint going to like this but tough sh**.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by alo5603
    he does and is pretty good at it, but i can do more than him and he outweighs me by alot and lifts heavier than i do in everything else but those and squats, i guess his back is out of shape then right? So then deads and good mornings seems like a plan too, as well as box squats. lol, he aint going to like this but tough sh**.
    prolly not..when i started goodmornings and then doing maintenance squat work..my squat started soaring.....and tell him tough shit ya..

dwaynewade is offline Senior Member
    Knee bends helped me... some sissy squats could also lengthen his range of motion a bit

well we are going to do back this afternoon so i will let you guys know how he does with deads and goodmornings.

alo

Im surprised, he took it like a man. No bullsh** excuses or anything, he just did them. Man he was sweatin and gruntin but got it done. Now lets see if he can stay like that for a few months.

alo

Thread Information