D9S0M is offline Associate Member

Close grip bench press

wats up guys just wondering how far u space ur hands on the bar when doin close grip bench presses thanks...
    Last edited by D9S0M; 08-26-2005 at 09:05 PM.

smokethedays is offline Veni, Vedi, Vici.
    Blog Entries
    about 10-12 inches

aite thx...and when lowering the bar do u wanna come down to middle chest?

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    I extend my thumbs and meet them at the middle of the bar. This is how I measure out grip width. The bar usually touches the lower chest on my technique.

oh i seee...so anywhere from prolly 8-10 inches....

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by striker93
    I extend my thumbs and meet them at the middle of the bar. This is how I measure out grip width. The bar usually touches the lower chest on my technique.
    Damn man I have tried this and it puts so much stress on my shoulder. I put my index finger where its in between the smooth part and the other part whatever its called

dtr98 is offline Member
    15"-18" works for me and lower bar to nipples

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    bout 10inch,,for me

Flexor is offline Banned
    12" so its really actually a medium grip just with my elbows still tucked in. Otherwise my right shoulder clicks and hurts. I find it difficult to stop my elbows flaring out though at the top of the movement

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    Damn man I have tried this and it puts so much stress on my shoulder. I put my index finger where its in between the smooth part and the other part whatever its called
    You should use a grip that allows you to perform a pain-free ROM. The farther your hands go out, the more the chest helps. This is due to the elbows moving farther away from the torso.

chest6 is offline Banned
    You should use a grip that allows you to perform a pain-free ROM. The farther your hands go out, the more the chest helps. This is due to the elbows moving farther away from the torso.
    well when i do close grip i keep my elbows right next to my body. I try to go as close as I can without pain like you said.

ReX357 is offline "Toughest & Best Looking Guy Around Here"
    Personally I put my hands shoulder width. I use a suicide grip and I keep my elbows tucked to my side.

mitch911 is offline Member
    yea just tuck ur elbows have them rub your sides as u lower the bar to lower chest.. all tris and try not to lock out

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by ReX357
    Personally I put my hands shoulder width. I use a suicide grip and I keep my elbows tucked to my side.
    Does suicide grip mean thumbs under bar or reverse grip with thumbs under bar?

Suicide grips means thumbs on the same side of the bar as the other fingers. The bar is resting on your palms. It is NOT reverse tho.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Suicide grips means thumbs on the same side of the bar as the other fingers. The bar is resting on your palms. It is NOT reverse tho.
    When you place the thumbs under the bar, it really increases the amount of weight that you can use? Do you know the scientific reason for this?

LoL no I never said it increases the weight you can use. I just said I find it more comfortable and I seem to hit my tri better. Btw, I drop the bar to my lower pecs/upper abs when doing close grip presses.

BigCrump60 is offline New Member
    Personally, I meet thumbs in middle, bring bar to lower chest then if I'm hitting inner chest I'll let my elbows flare out, if I'm going for tri's keep them tucked in.

BeerBaron is offline Senior Member
    I saw some guy doing a close grip bench on an upright bench machine with a pull down bar arcoss the grips for the close grip... wierd.

Sanecrazy is offline Associate Member
    Doing this for triceps right? I reverse the hand grip and place my hands a body width apart, then I bring the bar down right below my nipples and keep my arms parallel to my body. Its kind of awkward but it really works well

Quote Originally Posted by Sanecrazy
    Doing this for triceps right? I reverse the hand grip and place my hands a body width apart, then I bring the bar down right below my nipples and keep my arms parallel to my body. Its kind of awkward but it really works well
    What you're talking about are reverse grip bench presses. Not quite the same.

Sanecrazy is offline Associate Member
    Yes I know that. The first part of my post was a question. For triceps? I then answered the question. I know the difference. I was introducing an exercise that not alot of people use but it is great for isolating the back arm area.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    LoL no I never said it increases the weight you can use. I just said I find it more comfortable and I seem to hit my tri better. Btw, I drop the bar to my lower pecs/upper abs when doing close grip presses.
    Sorry about the post. Must have been tired. What I meant to say is that when you put your thumbs under the barbell it allows you to use more resistance. I was wondering if you knew the scientific reason for this? I don't. Powerlifts use this grip to increase their bench numbers. I suppose I can post in there if you're not sure.

Sorry about the post. Must have been tired. What I meant to say is that when you put your thumbs under the barbell it allows you to use more resistance. I was wondering if you knew the scientific reason for this? I don't. Powerlifts use this grip to increase their bench numbers. I suppose I can post in there if you're not sure.
    Hmmmmm I don't know the scientific reason behind this. But I assume it is because you don't use energy to grip the barbell.

SPIKE is offline AR-Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    I put my index finger where its in between the smooth part and the other part whatever its called

I second that...........Switch it up from index finger to Ring finger.

Thread Information