jgg1221 is offline Member

squat and dead lift routine

hey guys

I read that a good squat routine would be some like this:

10 sets, heavier weights, 2-3 reps each... ass to the floor with legs spread nice and wide

------------------------------

and a good dead lift routine would be like this:

8 sets, WITH SINGLE LIFTS ONLY, at maximum weight

I read an article that said you should NOT do reps with dead lifts, just your maximum weight you can do.... - is this true?

chest6 is offline Banned
    looks like a good powerlifitng routine if you ask me..squat off a parallel box and deadlift as is or off a platform

kaptainkeezy04 is offline Anabolic Member
    you should do reps for everything if you wanna build muscle...that looks like a powerlifting routine to me.

bump.

i need more responces on the issue of whether or not i should be doing reps with dead lifts

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by jgg1221
    bump.

i need more responces on the issue of whether or not i should be doing reps with dead lifts
    To build muscle, and promote hypertrophy in the muscle cell, you will need to use and recruit muscle fibbers each time you train, to to this most people believe that you need to perform 8-12 repartitions, not to say that 5-8 wont build, but the more reps, you can perform with a reasonable weight, the more muscle you will use and recruit to grow back bigger and stronger to prepare for next time you train...

so to answer your question I would say yes, you do need to perform reps, on these exercises....
    Last edited by S.P.G; 09-01-2005 at 04:55 AM.

heres the article i read that said you shouldnt do multiple reps with doing dead lifts
    it was written by Dave Tate

http://forums.steroid.com/showthread.php?t=156945

here's what it said:

"Mistake #7: Training with multiple reps

Next time you see someone doing multiple reps on the deadlift, take note of the form of each rep. You'll see the later reps look nothing like the first. In competition you only have to pull once, so you need to learn how to develop what's known as starting strength for the deadlift. This is the strength needed to get the bar off the floor without an eccentric (negative) action before the start.

In other words, you don't lower the bar first and then lift the weight as you do with the squat and bench press. When you train with multiple reps you're beginning to develop reversal strength, which isn't needed with the deadlift.

These two reasons are enough to keep the deadlift training to singles. If you're using multiple reps with the deadlift, then stand up in between each rep and restart the lift. This way you'll be teaching the proper form and be developing the right kind of strength."

Thread Information