chest6 is offline Banned

db shrugs behind

On here I saw a good trap routine is 5 front, 5 front, and 5 back.
    Front and sides I have no problem with..but I cant put the dumbells behind my back..is this normal or am I just really inflexible??
    Last edited by chest6; 09-01-2005 at 12:26 AM.

Captain_test is offline Associate Member
    I have the same problem, I just use a barbell for the back shrugs.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_test
    I have the same problem, I just use a barbell for the back shrugs.
    hm ya..i try to do that too and my huge ass gets in the way and i cant go up that much

dwaynewade is offline Senior Member
    man, if you can find a schmidt machine slightly angled 75-80 degrees obtuse/acute you could angle yourself in such a way to allow this movement and even maximize the intensity in the movement. Lifefitness carries a whole line of these... also you can perform a weird but effective exercise, it is like an upright row- though performed behind you, much lighter weight than a shrug but blitzes your rhomboids and traps.

keep pumping!

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    On here I saw a good trap routine is 5 front, 5 front, and 5 back.
    Front and sides I have no problem with..but I cant put the dumbells behind my back..is this normal or am I just really inflexible??
    Your username says chest6 so I imagine you work chest pretty hard. Do you apply equal work to your upper back musculature (deads, rows, bent-over laterals, etc.)? If not, there is a chance that you have decreased flexibility. Examine your posture. Are your shoulders back or do they round forward slightly? If they round forward slightly, I would prioritize upper back training. Some individuals would then recommend stretching the pecs at the end of your chest workout to increase flexibility. Personally, I'd rather see someone concentrate on strengthening the upper back.

ginkobulloba is offline Senior Member
    At my gym we have these olympic barbells that are curved so that the middle part is pushed out a good six inches. Today I saw someone using this bar for rear shrugs and it seemed like a good idea to me. That way your butt doesn't get in the way. The bar looks like this:

----\____/----

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ginkobulloba
    At my gym we have these olympic barbells that are curved so that the middle part is pushed out a good six inches. Today I saw someone using this bar for rear shrugs and it seemed like a good idea to me. That way your butt doesn't get in the way. The bar looks like this:

----\____/----
    I have seen those, sounds like a good idea, my gym has these, I'll give them a try.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by striker93
    Your username says chest6 so I imagine you work chest pretty hard. Do you apply equal work to your upper back musculature (deads, rows, bent-over laterals, etc.)? If not, there is a chance that you have decreased flexibility. Examine your posture. Are your shoulders back or do they round forward slightly? If they round forward slightly, I would prioritize upper back training. Some individuals would then recommend stretching the pecs at the end of your chest workout to increase flexibility. Personally, I'd rather see someone concentrate on strengthening the upper back.
    I bust my back just as hard as I do my chest now...and its starting to thicken out quite nicely, the only thing I def. need to work on is getting the bf down. From when I started working out until I was about 17 or so pretty much the only thing I would do was flat bench. I used to have that problem with my shoulders rounding forward, my friend would always make fun of me for it, having a huge chest and small arms and back. I think I am definitely more proportional now, I have learned so much from this site. Also, I really never worked shoulders, traps and biceps until the last year. My traps seem to be getting higher and higher each month. My shoulders seem to be getting wider as well.
    Getting a little off topic so I'll end here. I definitely need to start stretching more.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    This is a strength training exercise that could help build flexibility in your shoulders and pack mass onto your upper traps. Hold a loaded barbell behind your back and maintain normal shoulder posture for as long as you can. Don't let your shoulders drop or the exercise is over. You should be able to hold massive weight with this static contraction. I like to use static contractions, when I've plateaued on an exercise. If your arms are long enough, your butt won't get in the way, either.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by striker93
    This is a strength training exercise that could help build flexibility in your shoulders and pack mass onto your upper traps. Hold a loaded barbell behind your back and maintain normal shoulder posture for as long as you can. Don't let your shoulders drop or the exercise is over. You should be able to hold massive weight with this static contraction. I like to use static contractions, when I've plateaued on an exercise. If your arms are long enough, your butt won't get in the way, either.
    sounds good..ill try that monday..i have long arms my wingspan is 6' 6" and im 6'2"..really hard for strength

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    i like to use a EZ bar to them behind my back...

chest6 is offline Banned
    like a curl bar? How you get enough weight on there?

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    like a curl bar? How you get enough weight on there?
    Yes I use the curl bar and getting enough weight on Is a problem, I usually use 20s, that small bar looks ridicules with nearly 200kg on it

Thread Information