mr.biceps58 is offline Junior Member

Exclamation How to avoid "OVERTRAINING"!!!!!

I've been hearing quite a bit about over-training..

Heres a suggestion I would like to make to "EVERYONE" inorder to help keep you fron not overtraining and hitting the wall.

First, the more advanced we bodybuilders become, the greater amount of intensity he or she is able to generate. Also, an advanced bodybuilder will be much stronger so more intensity will be produced through the use of heavy weights. These two factors will necessitate more rest between workouts!!!

A beginner bodybuilder can usually get by with a full-body routine every third day. An intermediate bodybuilder should be able to work each bodypart twice per week doing a split routine with about 2 days of rest between each training session. An advanced bodybuilder will be using more weights and additional exercises. This will also require more rest. Now, the rest time between bodyparts will increase to 3-5 days. Even more intensity used in future workouts may require 6-7 days rest between bodyparts.

In addition to resting more before training a certain bodypart, complete rest days from training are also a "CRITICAL" factor. A very intense training session (such as a leg or back workout) may require one or two days off from training before the body is ready to be trained again. I have been taking one day off from training after my back workouts and I also usually take one, sometimes two days off after my leg workouts. These days off are necessary in order for the body to recuperate and grow!!!!!!!!

I have attempted in the past to train 5 days in a row but the workouts toward the end of the week aren't as intense as they should be. Be very aware of the intensity level when you train. If you feel like you are dragging through a workout and you got enough sleep last night and you ate enough calories (as well as protein and carbs), then it may be time to take a day off. Otherwise, you are in danger of overtraining.

Schedule recuperation into your training plan as you set up your workouts. Remember, the more intensity, the more rest that is required. Don't fall into the trap of overtraining by working out every day, doing too many sets, or training bodyparts too often before they get a chance to grow. Train hard, REST, and then grow.

Heres my current workout schedule:

Monday: Chest-shoulders

Tuesday: Lats-traps

Wednesday: off

Thursday: Arms

Friday: Legs

Saturday: off

Sunday: Start cycle over again or take another day off if feeling run down.

Note: I take off a day after training the most draining muscle groups: legs-back.

I hope this helps..
    Last edited by mr.biceps58; 08-31-2005 at 09:38 PM.

IBdmfkr is offline AR VET
    good post for newbs, but I don't feel this applies to everyone, each person recovers at a different rate, therefore would require his/her own personal workout program in order not to overtrain. But informative post either way.

TCEL300 is offline Member
    i hit my bi's twice a week...i hit em once a week for a while..didnt really see much progress....twice a week grew an inch in 3 months..well ym whole arms...but still 2 times a week works for me with bi's everything else once

MASTER is offline "I Own You"
    Yeh overtraining is diff for every1, my mate trains 8 or 9 times a week without juice and grows all the time, whereas i grow better training every body part onli once week on a 3 day a week program. Gd post for a noob tho!!

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesC
    Yeh overtraining is diff for every1, my mate trains 8 or 9 times a week without juice and grows all the time, whereas i grow better training every body part onli once week on a 3 day a week program. Gd post for a noob tho!!
    i agree....

mr.biceps58 is offline Junior Member
    Oh yaue no one program fits all..I was just trying to help out those who have issues with overtraining, especially newbies.

Thread Information