WelshWarrior is offline Senior Member

Plateau'd on wide grip chins - help

Guys, I always do wide grip chins as part of my back session. However, for the past few weeks I have got stuck on a particular weight and cannot seem to break past it.

I've tried:
    1. Stopping using weights to go for high reps to break through
    2. Placing emphasis on pull-down sessions
    3. Placing emphasis on exercises to develop thickness

None of this has helped - any ideas?

For info I'm about 220lbs and am stuck on 50lb. I'm also mid cycle so plateau's shouldn't exist!

dwaynewade is offline Senior Member
    try assisted chins.. negs... slow your tempo, speed up your tempo...

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by WelshWarrior
    Guys, I always do wide grip chins as part of my back session. However, for the past few weeks I have got stuck on a particular weight and cannot seem to break past it.

I've tried:
    1. Stopping using weights to go for high reps to break through
    2. Placing emphasis on pull-down sessions
    3. Placing emphasis on exercises to develop thickness

None of this has helped - any ideas?

For info I'm about 220lbs and am stuck on 50lb. I'm also mid cycle so plateau's shouldn't exist!
    I would go with negatives. I usually have people start with negatives, if they can't do one full-range pullup. The same principle could be applied here. Go to your plateau, then finish the set out with negatives. If this doesn't work, after you plateau, quickly add weight and finish with negatives. One of these two methods should work.

SHAOKAHN is offline Member
    heavy negs, static-holds, lots of stretching... how the diet? maybee need some more fuel for the fire?

ward065 is offline Member
    i used to be plateaued, I was able to eliminate it by doing

Week 1: Chinups
    Week 2: Wide Grip Pulldowns (cable)

Quote Originally Posted by SHAOKAHN
    heavy negs, static-holds, lots of stretching... how the diet? maybee need some more fuel for the fire?
    Diet is good cos weight is going up. I did wonder if it's cos of this I have plateau's - i.e. my weight is going up on the exercise cos my bodyweight is going up.

I'm gonna try alternating with cables for a while - can't really do neg's as don't have a training partner

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Diet is good cos weight is going up. I did wonder if it's cos of this I have plateau's - i.e. my weight is going up on the exercise cos my bodyweight is going up.

I'm gonna try alternating with cables for a while - can't really do neg's as don't have a training partner
    You could get a high bench to step up on and then lower yourself with the negative. That's what I do when I don't have a training partner.

Papi93 is offline AR VET

When your bodyweight goes up, it does become more difficult to increase reps or resistance. I've gone through this myself. In this case, just keep doing your best until your weight plateaus and then try using the negatives to increase your weight or reps.

ReX357 is offline "Toughest & Best Looking Guy Around Here"
    Reading what I read you are maybe making progress but you don't know it.

You gotta look at the fact that if your weight goes up, you add more resistance.

Example: When you started your cycle you were 200 lbs (Just an example) and let's say you were doing 12 reps with 50lbs hanging from you. So you are lifting 250lbs 12x. If you are now 215 lbs and do 12 reps with 50lbs you are now pulling 265lbs 12x instead of 250 12x. You see? You're still doing 12 reps with a 50 but you are lifting more weight because you're heavier than before. So you probably didn't hit a plateau.

Quote Originally Posted by ReX357
    Reading what I read you are maybe making progress but you don't know it.

You gotta look at the fact that if your weight goes up, you add more resistance.

Example: When you started your cycle you were 200 lbs (Just an example) and let's say you were doing 12 reps with 50lbs hanging from you. So you are lifting 250lbs 12x. If you are now 215 lbs and do 12 reps with 50lbs you are now pulling 265lbs 12x instead of 250 12x. You see? You're still doing 12 reps with a 50 but you are lifting more weight because you're heavier than before. So you probably didn't hit a plateau.

Absolutely.

ReX357 is offline "Toughest & Best Looking Guy Around Here"
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAOKAHN
    Absolutely.
    Hey looking swole bro

You could get a high bench to step up on and then lower yourself with the negative. That's what I do when I don't have a training partner.
    I like that tip - thanks.

I know what you are both saying about the weight thing, but I also think my strength gains have slowed a little as most of the weight I have gained is relatively lean muscle mass.

Quote Originally Posted by ReX357
    Hey looking swole bro

Thanks ReX, it's getting closer but I'm still not satisfied by a long shot... My next goal is 235-ish in 2006' so I got a waize to go!

I'll do it
    Last edited by SHAOKAHN; 09-04-2005 at 03:54 PM.

Thread Information