Thread: Deadlifts ????

DoubleMint is offline New Member

Deadlifts ????

I really want to start doing deadlifts, I am familiar with the straight legged version, but I would like to find out more about the other version. Can you guys shed some light on the actual deadlift technique ??? pictures ???

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Go to t-nation.com and do a search for a Dave Tate (Westside Barbell). He has an excellent article on deadlifting.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by striker93
    Go to t-nation.com and do a search for a Dave Tate (Westside Barbell). He has an excellent article on deadlifting.
    glad to see some fellow powerlift-minded members out there

alo5603 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    glad to see some fellow powerlift-minded members out there
    ditto

Awesome article !!!! Blown SC posted it in the Better Strength sticky right on top of this section. The article is geared towards advanced lifters, I am looking for the very basics on how to get started, meaning, stance, grip and so on. I am hoping to start lifting the correct way, I had lower back problems in the past and that's why I am emphasising on the correct technique.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleMint
    Awesome article !!!! Blown SC posted it in the Better Strength sticky right on top of this section. The article is geared towards advanced lifters, I am looking for the very basics on how to get started, meaning, stance, grip and so on. I am hoping to start lifting the correct way, I had lower back problems in the past and that's why I am emphasising on the correct technique.
    If you have had back problems, in the past, I would suggest having a buddy check your technique. If you lose back position, with heavy resistance, you could strain your back extensors very easily .
    Last edited by striker93; 09-09-2005 at 09:58 PM.

If you have had back problems, in the past, I would suggest having a buddy check your technique. If you lose back position, with heavy resistance, you could strain your back extensors very easily .
    I wish I had a buddy that could check my technique, I don't know anyone that does deadlifts, nobody at my gym does them

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    I wish I had a buddy that could check my technique, I don't know anyone that does deadlifts, nobody at my gym does them
    You normally want to keep your head in neutral alignment for the deadlift but in this case, I think you should make an exception. Deadlift with your right side facing a mirror. Try to look out of the corner of your right eye to watch form. Unfortunately, you might need to turn your head slightly.

Yesterday was my leg day and I decided to throw in some deadlifts. I went with the bar alone (45 lb), I didn't want to strain anything since it was my first time and I wasn't sure about my technique. Anyway, it went great, there are mirrors all the way around at my gym so I was able to monitor my position, striker93 thanks for the tip. It looks like I will be adding deadlifts permamently to my routine. Thanks again.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Yesterday was my leg day and I decided to throw in some deadlifts. I went with the bar alone (45 lb), I didn't want to strain anything since it was my first time and I wasn't sure about my technique. Anyway, it went great, there are mirrors all the way around at my gym so I was able to monitor my position, striker93 thanks for the tip. It looks like I will be adding deadlifts permamently to my routine. Thanks again.
    With deadlifts, make sure your hips and shoulder rise at the same time. If your hips rise before your shoulders, it turns more into a stiff-legged version.

BobShocker is offline Junior Member
    With deadlifts, make sure your hips and shoulder rise at the same time. If your hips rise before your shoulders, it turns more into a stiff-legged version.
    and dont forget to scream really loud . . .

Quote Originally Posted by BobShocker
    and dont forget to scream really loud . . .
    I knew I was missing something

Pitbull is offline Junior Member
    You should chant the following words to yourself when you grip the bar to start the lift : " Bum down , head up " - ensures that your back stays straigt. Also get your technique down to the T before you even think of going heavy. Your lift should start with the hams and the glutes and end with the back and traps.

Billyspt4 is offline Associate Member
    Just a reminder too since you're going to be getting into them a lot. Keep in mind that you'll want to rotate the hand that you under/over from week to week that way your traps stay close to the same size. If you use the same grip, the trap doing all the work (the one on the side of the underhand grip) will get bigger from doing more work than the other. It takes a while for this to happen, but I just wanted to point this out so you know

diponyou is offline Associate Member
    once you add weight it becomes totally different,i started doin them with just the bars and it was cake,but once i added some weight it totally threw me off.have somebody wathc you and tell you if you doing it correct.thats what i did

Thread Information