Newtothegame234 is offline New Member

If i cannot do bench ...............

I no longer have a spotter , haven't in like 4-5 weeks because everyone stops going to the gym except me. Now when it comes to benching my mind is what is holding me back. I don't want to bench because i dont have a spotter so my question is , will doing the hammer machines and DB's be enough ? I use moslty DB's and use to use 65lbs but since then have moved up to 80lbs without a spotter got 6 reps today with that. My goal is 85lbs 6 times..being that my gym DB's only goto 85lbs (bally's) i will worry about that later when i max it.

Its weird even though i feel like i might be ok at bench i have seen too many people drop the bar (at ballys) on their chest and i dont want to be that guy. I can ask someone to spot me here and there but i hate always asking people to do that.

stocky121 is offline VET~ Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    db's will work just as good as bench if not better for bodybuilding

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by stocky121
    db's will work just as good as bench if not better for bodybuilding
    agreed.........DB all the way..........

JNel04 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtothegame234
    Now when it comes to benching my mind is what is holding me back.
    i used to let this happen to me too. now i find it better to not have a spotter becuase it forces me to put the weight up. also i always used to think too much while i was about to bench or while. dont even think about it. lay down and push out as many reps as possible.

nice, makes me feel better now knowing that pushing myself with DB weight is just as good. Once i hit 85 i will be looking for a spotter.

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by JNel04
    i used to let this happen to me too. now i find it better to not have a spotter becuase it forces me to put the weight up. also i always used to think too much while i was about to bench or while. dont even think about it. lay down and push out as many reps as possible.

I use to do that with squats, think too much. I am able to push myself hard on squats still because i know if i fall i can still fall forward and be ok but with a bench if i cant get that last rep up (the one that matters) i have nowhere to go but the OWNED locker room and cry

chest6 is offline Banned
    haha..well if i dont have a spotter i just dump all the weight off..tilt one side..all the weight falls off then the other will follow

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    When I used a gym that had dumbbells that only went up to 80's, this is what I did. I found two ankle cuffs, from the cable system, and put them around my wrists. I hooked a 5lb. plate, from the low position on the cable system, to each wrist and grabbed the 80's. On my dumbell bench presses, with cables attached, I now had a way to go over 80lbs without having to use the barbell bench press.

ginkobulloba is offline Senior Member
    If they've got a Smith machine at Bally's there is your solution. Myself, I stick mainly to Hammer Strength and DB's and I think they both work great.

Evil Predator is offline Senior Member
    I dont use a Bar for bench ever. Ive had only one workout partner, so db's were always the better choice.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Have you tried dragging a portable flat bench into a power rack. Just adjust the poles and the bar will sit on the pole rather than crushing your chest; if you can't complete the rep. I used this method when my brother couldn't work out with me.

Unoid is offline Member
    db'
    s are good until you get to 100+ then u;'ll need a spotter just to get into pressing position with them. how well can you hammer curl 100lbs?

n4529359 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtothegame234
    I no longer have a spotter , haven't in like 4-5 weeks because everyone stops going to the gym except me. Now when it comes to benching my mind is what is holding me back. I don't want to bench because i dont have a spotter so my question is , will doing the hammer machines and DB's be enough ? I use moslty DB's and use to use 65lbs but since then have moved up to 80lbs without a spotter got 6 reps today with that. My goal is 85lbs 6 times..being that my gym DB's only goto 85lbs (bally's) i will worry about that later when i max it.

Its weird even though i feel like i might be ok at bench i have seen too many people drop the bar (at ballys) on their chest and i dont want to be that guy. I can ask someone to spot me here and there but i hate always asking people to do that.

i don't understand are you going to a public gym? you mean theres absolutely no one else in the gym at all you can ask for a spot off? no gym staff?

if not just do bench as heavy as you can and if you can't rack the weight throw it off to the side (let one side hit the ground) it looks arkward and is ****in loud, but if theres no one else in the gym it should'ent matter.

Sanecrazy is offline Associate Member
    I never have a pertner and I use the Smith machine for a multitude of exercises. I love it.

Rob
    Rob is offline Canadian Legend
    Like everybody is telling you, go with dumbells.

I, myself never use bars anymore, I fukked my rotator cuff last year because of heavy benching. Took a good 4 months to recover. Never again will I use bars because of that event.

PLUS, dumbells give you a better range of motion..

Keyser Sozey is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    haha..well if i dont have a spotter i just dump all the weight off..tilt one side..all the weight falls off then the other will follow
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    DBs are the way to go. When you hit the 85s, start a new routine that begins with flyes to pre exhaust the pecs, then do db presses after (eg.4 sets flat/inc db flyes, then 4 sets flat/inc presses, etc.) When you can get 85 for presses after pre exhausting, you can try to get out of your btf contract (errrr hmmmm...Doctor's Note will do it), so you can get into a gym w the 150 lbers.

nyny2916 is offline Associate Member
    ballys is supposed to have more than 85s wtf

Cotton is offline New Member
    This is all great advice. DB's are really good. But in my opinion you need to rotate between bar and dumbbells unless you have an injury that prevents this. Don't be afraid to ask for a spot. I'm sure there is someone that would be glad to help you. If not they are a bunch of pricks and you need to find another gym.

Thread Information