TCEL300 is offline Member

Overall Arm thickness

Im just trying to build some size in my arms...i have small arms...they have always been the hardest spot for me to gain size....I was wondering what the best arm exercises are for thickness...Bi's and tri's...also for me working my arms twice a week seems to work best...i appreciate any advice

steve0 is offline NASM~AFPA~CPT
    first off dont do arms twice a week your bis and tris are secondary muscles theu grow along with the rest of ur body so make sure you always work back, chest and shoulders hard, as foe adding siz to the gunns , skullcrushers for tris and hammers for bis i myself enjoy doing one arm preachers on a machine for my bis,,also behind the neck exerscices are good for tris

so only hit them once a week?...i hit my chest and shoulders very hard...still tweaking out a new back routine..but i hit it hard also...how about cables...cable preachers?

steve0 is offline NASM~AFPA~CPT
    yeah cables are ok i like to use more of a free weight type of routine on arms more dumbells and barbells

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Squats, dead lifts, bent over rows!! Check out the obvious training reminder from SC

i do squats,deads and bent over rows....hey quick question you know the machine at the gym where u use free weights...u lie stomach down on the bench..it is slighty elevated and you pull the weight up to your chest...does that hit the same muscles as a bent over row?

chest6 is offline Banned
    ya man..my biceps are sore today from doing back yesterday..you only need direct bicep work once a week

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by TCEL300
    i do squats,deads and bent over rows....hey quick question you know the machine at the gym where u use free weights...u lie stomach down on the bench..it is slighty elevated and you pull the weight up to your chest...does that hit the same muscles as a bent over row?
    I believe your speaking of the chest supported t-bar row. Yes, it would hit the same muscles as a pronated-grip bent-over row. The only difference is that your lower back work very hard as a stabilizer in the bent-over row.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by striker93
    I believe your speaking of the chest supported t-bar row. Yes, it would hit the same muscles as a pronated-grip bent-over row. The only difference is that your lower back work very hard as a stabilizer in the bent-over row.
    I think I might start using a belt for bent over rows..i went up to 285 and my back got damn sore after that..

Ejuicer is offline Anabolic Member
    Close grip bench to build up the tri's and dont neglect the brachialis if you want thickness. Do some reverse grip preachers.

for thickness can i train like very heavy less reps..like if my max for curling is like 115 clean...do like warm up 95x6 105x4-6 110 1-2?...also go heavy on reverse preachers?

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    for thickness can i train like very heavy less reps..like if my max for curling is like 115 clean...do like warm up 95x6 105x4-6 110 1-2?...also go heavy on reverse preachers?
    I would say no you need to use and recruit muscle fibbers to promote hypertrophy,the more you use the better, to do this higher reps are needed 6-8 8-12,,
    Last edited by S.P.G; 09-12-2005 at 01:14 PM.

the type of muscle fibers with the largest size are best trained in the 6-8 rep range, but I've always done a full spectrum 12,10,8,6-8 in order to hit both types of fibers. also make sure you make every rep count, that means proper form, no swaying, exploding on the way up, controled on the way down. hope it helps ya bro.

Ejuicer is offline Anabolic Member
    No, go a bit lighter on them. Do them slower then you would a normal curl as the brachialis responds better to it.

Thread Information