Tommy Gunn is offline Member

Back to the basics

Alright fellas. Basically I've been in a funk in my life lately. Girl problems, job problems, family problems, etc. and I've been feeling burned out lately. I plan on cutting my workouts back to three days a week and six exercises a session. No more tricep pushdowns or curls or calve raises for a while. Just the basics. I'm 6' 225 25 years old with alot of body fat. I'm all natural, not even on creatine. My goal is just to put mass on me, not worried about getting cut (I know diet plays a part there). I'm even gonna take 4 weeks off of my boxing training, just to get my muscles strong again. Here's my routine:

Everday before I lift, I will stretch out and run on the treadmill for 15 minutes as a warmup.

I will do four sets and increase the weight each set and my last set will be to failure.

Day 1 Mon.

Flat dumbell press 10,8,6,F
    Incline dumbell press 10,8,6,F
    Seated dumbell press 10,8,6,F
    Seated front dumbell raises 12,10,8,F
    Wide grip upright rows 10,8,6,F
    Seated lateral raises 12,10,8,F

Day 2 Weds.

Squats 10,8,6,F
    Deads 4x5
    Leg curls 12,10,8,F
    Kneeling cable crunches (rope) 15,12,10,F
    Barbell shrugs 12,10,8,F
    4 way neck machine 4x10

Day 3 Fri.

Close grip seated cable rows 10,8,6,F
    Close grip lat pulldowns 10,8,6,F
    Underhand lat pulldowns 10,8,6,F
    Wide grip lat pulldowns (silver bar) 10,8,6,F
    Standing bent over reverse flys 12,10,8,F
    Seated rear rotator cuff exercise 15,12,10,F

How's it look?
    Last edited by Tommy Gunn; 09-14-2005 at 01:31 AM.

smokethedays is offline Veni, Vedi, Vici.
    Blog Entries
    sounds good to me except for the Deadlift with the legs, specially that u'll be doing Back after 1 day off only.

Thanks, What about my 2 questions smoke? I could really use the help.

smokethedays is offline Veni, Vedi, Vici.
    Blog Entries
    well, i'll tell my shoulder routine which is my strongest body part.
    6 sets front military press
    3 seated dumbells (not sure about the right name, but it's when u put the dumbells almost on ur shoulders and push'em up)
    4 sets side raises, standing
    3 front raises (as wide as my hips), standing

So you don't think upright rows are a good side delt exercise?

What do the rest of you guys think of my routine?

Flexor is offline Banned
    front raises are a waste of time IMO, not enough mass. Just do seated arnold presses and/or dumbell shoulder presses and along with chest work that is enough.

avoid upright rows as slowly over time they will destroy your rotator cuff, because as you are lifting the heavy weight you are externally rotating the shoulder straining the rotator cuff. do side raises and the shoulder presses for medials

i don't see any specific bicep work in there, no barbell curls, no incline dumbell curls, no preachers or hammers etc. Your lat pulldowns and rows will work the biceps but you need the other exercises.

the rest looks nice, but if that 'neck machine' thing is that thing designed to work the sternocleidomastoid and splenius, drop it, your neck will thicken with deadlifts and shrugs and your other exercises naturally over time. IMO anybody who tries to specifically work their neck is asking to pop a disk in the cervical spine
    Last edited by Flexor; 09-13-2005 at 05:58 AM.

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexor
    front raises are a waste of time IMO, not enough mass. Just do seated arnold presses and/or dumbell shoulder presses and along with chest work that is enough.

avoid upright rows as slowly over time they will destroy your rotator cuff, because as you are lifting the heavy weight you are externally rotating the shoulder straining the rotator cuff. do side raises and the shoulder presses for medials

i don't see any specific bicep work in there, no barbell curls, no incline dumbell curls, no preachers or hammers etc. Your lat pulldowns and rows will work the biceps but you need the other exercises.

the rest looks nice, but if that 'neck machine' thing is that thing designed to work the sternocleidomastoid and splenius, drop it, your neck will thicken with deadlifts and shrugs and your other exercises naturally over time. IMO anybody who tries to specifically work their neck is asking to pop a disk in the cervical spine
    i agree with flex.. and what about your tris,,
    Last edited by S.P.G; 09-13-2005 at 06:03 AM.

Right now I'm trying to cut my workload back because life is kicking my butt right now. That's why no tris or bis. I figure tris will get hit by the presses and bis will get hit by the back exercises. After a month or two I will slowly add more exercises as I start to feel better.

Also, I have to work my neck because I am getting back into boxing. I have to stengthen my neck to take all those punches.

Anyone else?

JNel04 is offline Associate Member
    i hear ya, everyone eventually feels overburdened or just like they got too much shiot to deal with. why dont u just take a weak break and see how u feel afterwards. maybe u just need a lil time away.

Thread Information