Tommy Gunn is offline Member

What do you guys think of front barbell raises?

What do you guys think of front barbell raises for a front delt exercise?

I feel I can do alot of weight with these as opposed to seated front dumbell raises but with dumbells I get better isolation.

Even so, since I started these, my front delts have exploded

Here they are:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...rontRaise.html

Flexor is offline Banned
    It has been said quite a few times now I think...

They are not productive considering the anteriors are worked in every chest movement you do. No isolation is required for them, unless they are inferior genetically but even so its not exactly a mass exercise so its benefits are limited.

Shoulder presses, arnold presses, any kind of presses will work the anteriors through the full range of motion past shoulder height and since more mass can be used they are better exercises. Anytime the shoulder is flexed above horizontal to the floor, the anteriors are activated better.

The supraspinatus is responsible for 15 degs elevation on its own, then the medial works well up to shoulder height but after that the anterior takes up more of the strain so barbell front raises aren't so great as you can't get a full contraction/pump/peak

IamtheChitt is offline Associate Member
    good info... i never heard that....

Tommy Gunn is offline Member
    So basically what your saying is, is that any specific front delt exercise isn't necessary if your doing chest exercises (bench, incline, etc.)

Is that right?

kaptainkeezy04 is offline Anabolic Member
    barbell raises for delts do an amazing job at seperating your chest from your front delts putting that "line" inbetween them...and yes front delt exercises are necessary!!! Yall remember that one exercise that is one of the most important ones...i think its called MILITARY PRESS. but i do agree with flexor on the fact that exercises for chest do work the front delts a lot but doing back exercises work the rear delts just as much (barbell rows, t-bar rows, deadlifts). i hope this info helps. FLEXOR has some good knowledge but i just dont agree that working front delts is unescessary especially considering ive seen pics of arnold doing front lateral raises many times. peace.

justin2305 is offline Senior Member
    i love em, ill normally super set those with some real delt db flys and it really kicks ass

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexor
    It has been said quite a few times now I think...

They are not productive considering the anteriors are worked in every chest movement you do. No isolation is required for them, unless they are inferior genetically but even so its not exactly a mass exercise so its benefits are limited.

Shoulder presses, arnold presses, any kind of presses will work the anteriors through the full range of motion past shoulder height and since more mass can be used they are better exercises. Anytime the shoulder is flexed above horizontal to the floor, the anteriors are activated better.

The supraspinatus is responsible for 15 degs elevation on its own, then the medial works well up to shoulder height but after that the anterior takes up more of the strain so barbell front raises aren't so great as you can't get a full contraction/pump/peak
    me and flexor, are on the same path here 100% agreed....

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by S.P.G
    me and flexor, are on the same path here 100% agreed....
    great minds think alike...

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainkeezy04
    barbell raises for delts do an amazing job at seperating your chest from your front delts putting that "line" inbetween them....
    The separation you talk of could be the result of actually increasing the size of the anteriors. I would of thought it difficult to tell what a few barbell raises is doing when you are doing so many sets for chest and shoulders already? A pump, is a pump, is a pump.

Separation is apparantly achieved through extended peak contractions (EPC), so if you are pausing at the top of the movement briefly then this could be an explanation for your results. Its not exactly a peak contraction though, because like I said before the shoulder is not vertically flexed its level with the shoulder.

Anyway, regardless of opinions, everybody is different so if barbell front raises work for you then keep doing them. Its just for me personally, I'd rather do some military presses at 80lbs than some barbell front raises at 40lbs.

The shoulders seem to grow at will, probably because there are so many androgen bonding receptor sites like in the traps, so I see no need to isolate them.
    Last edited by Flexor; 09-21-2005 at 04:48 AM.

BobShocker is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexor
    The shoulders seem to grow at will, probably because there are so many androgen bonding receptor sites like in the traps, so I see no need to isolate them.
    good call. my shoulders hurt just reading about frount raises.

TADOLFI is offline Member
    All good points...just remember that each person responds differently to each exercise. If you feel that they are working for you - try them for four to six weeks and see if you notice results or not. Hate to say it - but a lot of the routines people adopt are through trial and error - not text books. (Although the books are great guides to get you started or to get you past a plateau)

Thread Information