eljeffe is offline Junior Member

Quad and Hammy split?

Could someone give me an example of the exercises I should do if I split my legs into two days, ie what exercises for quads and what exercises for hammies? Thanks

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by eljeffe
    Could someone give me an example of the exercises I should do if I split my legs into two days, ie what exercises for quads and what exercises for hammies? Thanks
    Quad Dominant Exercises: Squats, Front Squats, Overhead Squats, Lunges, Step-Ups, Sissy Squats, Ski Squats, Leg Extensions, etc.

Hip Dominant Exercises: Deadlifts, Leg Presses, Stiff-Legged Deadlifts, Good Mornings, Glute-Ham Raises, Hip Extensions, Back Extensions, Leg Curl Variations, etc.

Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    Quote Originally Posted by striker93
    Quad Dominant Exercises: Squats, Front Squats, Overhead Squats, Lunges, Step-Ups, Sissy Squats, Ski Squats, Leg Extensions, etc.

Hip Dominant Exercises: Deadlifts, Leg Presses, Stiff-Legged Deadlifts, Good Mornings, Glute-Ham Raises, Hip Extensions, Back Extensions, Leg Curl Variations, etc.
    these hit the quads pretty hard.
    dont really see how back exts hit hams, when i had a torn ham i was doing these for lowerback as i couldnt deadlift and they isolated the lower back well.

eljeffe is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by striker93

Ok I know leg exensions and front squats hit my quads but regular spuats kill my hammies and lunges kill my glutes, what are ski squats and overhead squats? Thanks by the way.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime
    these hit the quads pretty hard.
    dont really see how back exts hit hams, when i had a torn ham i was doing these for lowerback as i couldnt deadlift and they isolated the lower back well.
    Ian King, Australian Strength Coach and T-Nation.com writer, considers the deadlift to be a hip dominant exercise (more heavily involving the glutes and hamstrings). The quads will be working hard, due to the knee extension occuring.

Back extensions are very similar to doing stiff-legged deadlifts. The only movement, if the back is keep in a neutral position, is occuring at the hip joint. This would be a single-joint exercise for the glutes and hamstrings. The lower back would act as a stabilizer.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by eljeffe
    Ok I know leg exensions and front squats hit my quads but regular spuats kill my hammies and lunges kill my glutes, what are ski squats and overhead squats? Thanks by the way.
    Ski Squats are where you place your back against a wall and drop down into a quarter squat. Hold for time and then drop drop a few more inches. Continue this exercise until your thighs are parallel to the ground. Hold this position until your quads fail. The quad burn is intense. As you get stronger, hold dumbbells to provide resistance.
    Overhead squats are where you hold a barbell overhead and squat. It's very balance demanding, when performing it for the first time.

Thread Information