Tommy Gunn is offline Member

3 questions concerning deadlifts

I just started deadlifting 3 weeks ago and I have 3 questions.

1) Is it better to do deads on back day or leg day? I squat (and do legs) on tues. and I do deads (and back on fri.). Is that ok?

2) Do you guys go to failure on deadlifts or do you just try to hit a certain rep?

3) What would be a better rep scheme for deadlifts, 4x5 (increasing weight each set)...or 10,8,6,4 (increasing weight each set)?

Thanks fellas.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    [QUOTE=Tommy Gunn]
    2) Do you guys go to failure on deadlifts or do you just try to hit a certain rep?

If you're training on your own, no workout partner, I wouldn't recommend going to failure on deadlifts. If you lose a neutral position in your lower back, you could have a very sore back in the morning. Some of my buddies woke up with bad back spasms, the next day.

If you're training with a workout partner, they can check your technique and let you know if your form is slipping. When your form breaks down, have your partner stop you immediately.

IMO, I wouldn't take the risk of injuring your back with sets to failure, workout partner or not. Technique is the key with the deadlift.

Tommy Gunn is offline Member
    Thanks striker, what about the other 2 questions?

ripped4fsu is offline Anabolic Member
    ahhh yes... the age old "what day do I do deads?" debate...

Legs? Back? Shoulders? ahh hell just skip 'em they suck anyway right?!

j/k, deads are actually a great movement, and even though I do them on leg day I noticed my Traps get a good workout

4 sets on a 12/10/8/6 with increasing weight each set.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    [QUOTE=Tommy Gunn]
    3) What would be a better rep scheme for deadlifts, 4x5 (increasing weight each set)...or 10,8,6,4 (increasing weight each set)?

I would say, that it really depends upon your current goals. 5x5 is an old-school method for building muscular strength.
    12/10/8/6 would be more appropriate for a hypertrophy phase. Four reps would fall more in the strength phase.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    [QUOTE=Tommy Gunn]
    1) Is it better to do deads on back day or leg day? I squat (and do legs) on tues. and I do deads (and back on fri.). Is that ok?

As long as you recover, it should be fine. Are you able to perform more work (more reps or increased resistance) than the last workout? If so, you're ok.

You can do deadlifts on leg day, as an exercise to stress the hip extensors (glutes and hamstrings) or you could use it on back day, as an exercise to work the lower back, as a stabilizer.

305GUY is offline Anabolic Member
    I do deads on leg and stiff legged deads on back day.

ward065 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Gunn

Thanks fellas.
    1) IMHO it is fine to do it on either a back day. Sometimes i do regular barbell deadlifts with back , sometimes with legs. If i am too tired when training legs, i put it off until back day. But in my experience either is fine.

2) i always go to failure with all my working sets, yes, you will get the best development by going to complete failure

3) I like to warm up with 135 for 2 sets of 8, jump to 225 for 9 reps, jump to 315 for 9 reps, and then jump up to over 400 pounds for 5 or 6 reps or so until failure. Then i do three more sets and i am pyramiding DOWN in weight about 10 pounds per set. This has worked very well for me.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Gunn

Thanks fellas.
    1. do it the way you are
    2. i go to failure.
    3. the first one is what i would do

Thread Information