MoneyAddyct is offline Member

Overtraining a result of....?

Is overtraining a result of too much muscle destruction coupled with not enough rest/recovery or can overtraining occur due to too much muscle destruction alone? It would seem to me, at least intuitively, that if muscles grow by being damaged and then re-building so as to handle that same resistance load again without being damaged, then as long as one gets enough rest/recovery, theoretically overtraining wouldn't be a result of say too many sets or excersises. Thoughts?

lucabratzi is offline Anabolic Member
    overtraining happens over a longer period of time. it wont happen in in one or two workouts. u need to be over working and having poor nutritinon for an extended period of time.

juicyr6 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lucabratzi
    overtraining happens over a longer period of time. it wont happen in in one or two workouts. u need to be over working and having poor nutritinon for an extended period of time.
    well said...couldn't have said it better myself...
    however i think money addyct is refering overtraining to actuall muscle annihilation instead of muscle stimulation, right?
    another words i think he is asking can we annihilate a muscle in a single workout session causing it to overtrain and preventing it from growing?
    i would think so...

MoneyAddyct is offline Member
    Hmm, lemme try to clarify. According to what I've read, overtraining is a condition that results from doing more physical activity than your body can reasonably handle. So, let's say Person A has been working out for a significant period of time, has a great diet, and works out very intensely doing several sets per body part all to failure AND he gets a lot of rest. Now, person B also has those same characteristics but does not get enough rest/recovery. Which is more like to be overtraining? Person B, right? Basically, I'm trying to understand whether or not INTENSE physical activity alone can lead to overtraining or must other factors like lack of rest/diet be involved as well. I tend to believe that the phrase "more physical activity than your body can handle" refers to INTENSE workout without enough rest, because "more physical activity than your body can handle" overtime (with rest) is how you build muscle.

Thread Information