Thread: tris vs bis

divinepwr is offline Junior Member

tris vs bis

I have been lifting for a few years now. In the arm department... I couldn't be happier with my tricep size. Besides my legs for some reason, I actually can see striations in my triceps... ( I'm like 15% BF ) Horrible I know. I couldn't be more disappointed, however, in my biceps. I just started training my bis 2x a week. I only did them once a week forever, but didn't seem to be getting any results. Any suggestions ??? I always feel like my shoulders are helping too much or something. I don't know but it's pissing me off !!! PLease help my little ass bis catch up to my bigger tris. Thanks

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Are you hitting the back with basic exercises like t-bar rows, pullups, etc.? These movements are best for increasing the mass of your biceps.
    If these are in check, then are you cheating too much on your biceps exercises? Anterior deltoids, as well as lower back, can really take some of the stress away from the biceps if you're cheating too much.
    My favorite isolation exercise is the preacher curl bench. Just make sure that your chest is against the chest pad and your butt stays on the seat. The upper arms should remain fixed on the arm pad as well. On this movement make sure you are getting a full ROM unless you are doing Power Factor Training.

Flexor is offline Banned
    When you do barbell curls, keep your arms plastered to your sides and lift with a 2-1-3 tempo, really allowing a stretch at the bottom. This controlled movement will stimulate your biceps and give them a change from slightly cheating barbell curls which allow your shoulders to take up the weight at the top of the curl. You will have to lower the weight, but don't worry, it will feel really good to curl slowly and the DOMS will be good.

Do incline dumbell curls where you twist your wrists at the top to squeeze the medial bicep. The incline will help stretch your biceps to allow maximum stimulation to be placed on them.

Also do one armed concentration hammer curls, slow, controlled and again doing a full movement to really stretch out the long head and brachs at the bottom of the curl.

Another great exercise is preacher curls which will pump your biceps amazing, try reverse grip as well to mix it up. Again allow your biceps to stretch out and control the tempo well.

Those four exercises are great for stimulation, but you could also throw in some heavy mass ones to stimulate more fibres to contract, which can cause more growth if they are sufficiently damaged.

Try underhand shoulder width bent over rows with heavy weight, but use your biceps as much as your back.

If you decided to work your biceps once a week then you could try:

3 sets underhand rows
    4 sets barbell curls
    3 sets incline dumbell curls
    3 sets hammer curls

From time to time mix it up with preachers and drop underhand rows for heavy weighted close grip chins and really try to force the overhead bar into your face to emphasise bicep contraction. Thats a good mass exercise if done correctly, although primarily it is thought to be a good back exercise.

Hope this helps

divinepwr is offline Junior Member
    This site is great. That was a hell of a fast response. Thanks guys. I will certainly try all these. Do you suggest doing bis on back day ? I think getting rid of some fat will help bring them out too. I can now see a mound forming, but there is no definition at all, which just seems weird because I really like how my tris look.
    Thanks again.

Flexor is offline Banned
    The shape of your biceps will depend on your genetics. My big bro has different shaped muscles to mine even though he also has low body fat and he appears to have worse definition. You cannot lose some serious body fat at the same time as bulking though. Usually you gain bulk muscle mass and then lose body fat, or you could lose a little bit of fat first and then bulk so you have more definition to will you on.

You can do bis on back day, some say they cannot hit their bis at full intensity though. It is hard to say for others, but in your case as you wish to really get your bis going, I'd say work them on a day of their own. If you do get some overlap of exercises though, say you do heavy compound for biceps that involves the back, put back at the opposite end of the week to biceps.

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexor
    When you do barbell curls, keep your arms plastered to your sides and lift with a 2-1-3 tempo, really allowing a stretch at the bottom. This controlled movement will stimulate your biceps and give them a change from slightly cheating barbell curls which allow your shoulders to take up the weight at the top of the curl. You will have to lower the weight, but don't worry, it will feel really good to curl slowly and the DOMS will be good.

Do incline dumbell curls where you twist your wrists at the top to squeeze the medial bicep. The incline will help stretch your biceps to allow maximum stimulation to be placed on them.

Also do one armed concentration hammer curls, slow, controlled and again doing a full movement to really stretch out the long head and brachs at the bottom of the curl.

Another great exercise is preacher curls which will pump your biceps amazing, try reverse grip as well to mix it up. Again allow your biceps to stretch out and control the tempo well.

Those four exercises are great for stimulation, but you could also throw in some heavy mass ones to stimulate more fibres to contract, which can cause more growth if they are sufficiently damaged.

Try underhand shoulder width bent over rows with heavy weight, but use your biceps as much as your back.

If you decided to work your biceps once a week then you could try:

3 sets underhand rows
    4 sets barbell curls
    3 sets incline dumbell curls
    3 sets hammer curls

From time to time mix it up with preachers and drop underhand rows for heavy weighted close grip chins and really try to force the overhead bar into your face to emphasise bicep contraction. Thats a good mass exercise if done correctly, although primarily it is thought to be a good back exercise.

Hope this helps
    good post flexor

ward065 is offline Member
    when training your biceps., focus on pumping your arms as much as possible. Use heavy weight, but do not use a weight so heavy that you are doing a lot of swinging. You really take the tension off the biceps by doing this. A little cheating at the end is ok.

when doing standing barbell curls, flex your arms as you are lifting the weight- do it to the point where they will feel like they explode. When lowering the barbell, lower it nice and slow.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ward065
    flex your arms as you are lifting the weight
    Surely lifting the weight with your biceps without flexing your arms is impossible

ward065 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexor
    Surely lifting the weight with your biceps without flexing your arms is impossible
    no it isn't... squeeze your biceps as you lift the weight, that is like flexing them. you will get an insane pump

eljeffe is offline Junior Member
    I have to say that 13 sets for bi's is overkill bro, you only need 6-9 at most, the bi is such a small muscle and gets a workout with back as is, I just do a compound movement like scull crushers or dips and then a few sets of iso and that is all and my bi's react great.

Thread Information