jersey juice is offline Member

German Volume Training

I'm used to a powerlifting high weight low reps scheme that I've been using for a couple years now. I posted about switching into more of a bodybuilding routine (scroll down) So I started doing the GVT program and damn it whooped my ass!! the idea is to take 1 mass building excersise and 1 shaping excersise ex: bench press & dumbbell flys you do 10 sets of 10 reps with 60% of your 1 rep max. Sounds light & easy right?? I made it through 5 bench press sets and my chest was screaming...at 60% of 1 rep max I was benching 185 and my reps started dropping at the 4th set. Gotta say that I feel great cause I know I activated something in there that wasn't getting hit as hard. The principle is to use it for 5 weeks and then to switch to a "regular" workout of 3-4 sets 6-8 reps for 3 more weeks and starting over again. You can do a search for german volume training on the web, one of the Poliquin principles. I'm gonna try it for 8 weeks and see where I end up.

caseylee is offline Junior Member
    dude keep us updated on your progress, and also any other info that you find mabye some links ? this sound s very interesting. and have any of you other guys heard anything good or bad about this gvt ??

NightOp is offline Member
    wow... thats alot of work.. how many rest days per week are u gonna take? I don't think I could handle that routine w/o overtraining unless I only trained 3 times per week.

jbrand is offline Member

Re: German Volume Training

Originally posted by jersey juice
    I'm used to a powerlifting high weight low reps scheme that I've been using for a couple years now. I posted about switching into more of a bodybuilding routine (scroll down) So I started doing the GVT program and damn it whooped my ass!! the idea is to take 1 mass building excersise and 1 shaping excersise ex: bench press & dumbbell flys you do 10 sets of 10 reps with 60% of your 1 rep max. Sounds light & easy right?? I made it through 5 bench press sets and my chest was screaming...at 60% of 1 rep max I was benching 185 and my reps started dropping at the 4th set. Gotta say that I feel great cause I know I activated something in there that wasn't getting hit as hard. The principle is to use it for 5 weeks and then to switch to a "regular" workout of 3-4 sets 6-8 reps for 3 more weeks and starting over again. You can do a search for german volume training on the web, one of the Poliquin principles. I'm gonna try it for 8 weeks and see where I end up.
    I have the same problem with GVT (losing reps in succeeding sets). GVT is actually a good regimen to find out about your own primary fiber make-up. You would classify as fast-twitch with the above information -- I found it necessary to actually go below 60% being predominantly fast twitch or I wouldn't complete 10 repetitions for the last few sets.

tbulldog is offline Associate Member
    i dont believe its made for more than one exercise per bodypart per day....

http://www.musclemedia.com/training/gvt.html#goals
    Number of Exercises: One, and only one, exercise per body part should be performed. Therefore, select exercises that recruit a lot of muscle mass. Triceps kickbacks and leg extensions are definitely out—squats and bench presses are definitely in. For supplementary work for individual body parts (like triceps and biceps), you can do 3 sets of 10-20 reps

jbrand is offline Member
    Originally posted by Bob Dylan
    We're doing this as well, my friends and I, and it is really amazing. According to Poliqui, the body adapts pretty quickly so it is really only good for about 6 weeks, max. This is our chest routine....it took a few sessions to actually complete it, but we are going for serious body composition changes...again, 60% max.
    1. Bench Press 10 sets of 10 reps, moving very quickly (little rest) with concentric/eccentric being very rapid.
    2. Dumbell Press (flat bench) same as above.
    3. Incline Bench Press 10 sets of 10
    4. Dumbell Press on Incline Bench 10 sets of 10....

Really rough, but man, does it feel great to finish it.

We did (another day, of course) 10 sets of 10 squats.

On both of these days, recovery was very, very difficult, with all the guys either falling asleep at work, or in the afternoon (Saturday)....just draggin!

Have fun with it!

Robert Zimmerman
    Post-workout nutrition and PNF stretching is the only reason I'm still alive after GVT.

bro, if you keep that up you will overtrain...

i have used this on a detrained client for biceps, he gained 1 1/2 inches on his right arm, 1 1/4 inch on left arm in a month and a half

jbrand is offline Member
    Originally posted by tbulldog
    bro, if you keep that up you will overtrain...
    Although I agree with you on the one exercise limit per bodypart, think about the neurological response to 10x10 squats at 60% 1RM. Poliquin has adapted this program from Eastern Bloc training techniques originated decades before. The Eastern Bloc athletes believed in pre-planned overtraining which would be followed by an extremely low volume high intensity routine in which large strength gains were observed. I think at even the normal 10x10x1 exercise protocol, overtraining is still a likely factor.

Canes4Ever is offline Banned
    bump for more discussion. This is extremely interesting.

jbrand is offline Member
    Originally posted by Canes4Ever
    bump for more discussion. This is extremely interesting.
    Jerry Telle actually came up with a program based on GVT but with drop-sets. It was by far the most painful program I've ever subjected myself to, I'll outline it below:

Set 1: ~85% 1RM -- 1 rep short of failure

Set 2: Drop weight 20% -- 1 rep short of failure

Set 3: Drop weight 20% -- 1 rep short of failure

Set 4: Drop weight 20% -- To failure

Set 5: Drop weight 20% -- To failure

Set 6: Drop weight 20% -- To failure

Between Sets 1-3 rest 10 seconds; no rest at all between 4-6.

Try and decrease the tempo in succeeding sets, since you won't be able to match repitions, aim for a similiar time under tension. This program is probably better suited for an advanced trainee. If I can dig up any more information on my old notes I will post them.

Canes4Ever is offline Banned
    Amazing stuff JBrand, look for that stuff I'd love to read it. Thanks bro.

Although I agree with you on the one exercise limit per bodypart, think about the neurological response to 10x10 squats at 60% 1RM. Poliquin has adapted this program from Eastern Bloc training techniques originated decades before. The Eastern Bloc athletes believed in pre-planned overtraining which would be followed by an extremely low volume high intensity routine in which large strength gains were observed. I think at even the normal 10x10x1 exercise protocol, overtraining is still a likely factor.

Absolutely, imagine doing 10x10 for 4 different exercises for the same muscle group....

(bob dylan)--We're doing this as well, my friends and I, and it is really amazing. According to Poliqui, the body adapts pretty quickly so it is really only good for about 6 weeks, max. This is our chest routine....it took a few sessions to actually complete it, but we are going for serious body composition changes...again, 60% max.
    1. Bench Press 10 sets of 10 reps, moving very quickly (little rest) with concentric/eccentric being very rapid.
    2. Dumbell Press (flat bench) same as above.
    3. Incline Bench Press 10 sets of 10
    4. Dumbell Press on Incline Bench 10 sets of 10....

Really rough, but man, does it feel great to finish it.

We did (another day, of course) 10 sets of 10 squats.

On both of these days, recovery was very, very difficult, with all the guys either falling asleep at work, or in the afternoon (Saturday)....just draggin!

the reason you are dragging, bob, is that you are setting yourself up for severe overtraining...no flame intended, but you need to do a little research before you bail off into some advanced training system that you know nothing about..check the link i posted and read the guidelines for GVT..
    tbull

jbrand is offline Member
    Originally posted by tbulldog

Absolutely, imagine doing 10x10 for 4 different exercises for the same muscle group....
    I think I'd rather going through amputation of that specific bodypart

jbrand is offline Member
    Originally posted by Canes4Ever
    Amazing stuff JBrand, look for that stuff I'd love to read it. Thanks bro.
    No problem bro, I'm in the midst of searching as we speak.

devland2 is offline Junior Member
    been thinking of gvt for awhile, keep us posted

Thread Information