ward065 is offline Member

Did romanian deadlifts for the first time today

i've never really done romanian deadlifts before lifting, maybe i experimented with it once and stopped because i was afraid it would hurt my back.

Today i did them, with dumbells and i was suprised i was able to use up to 100lb dumbells for 8 reps. I certainly feel added tension in my hamstrings as i kept my legs very still.

I think i'll incorporate them in at least 2/3 of hamstrings workouts from now on. Anyone else here do this exercise or do most of you just do leg curls?

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    I like to use them as part of my hamstring workouts. You can really move some weight with this exercise (I've used 100's as well). I believe they are safer than stiff-legged deadlifts because you keep a neutral spine alignment. Your hamstrings will handle more of the load rather than the lower back. I learned how to do this exercise from reading an article by Dr. Fred Hatfield.

Quote Originally Posted by striker93
    I like to use them as part of my hamstring workouts. You can really move some weight with this exercise (I've used 100's as well). I believe they are safer than stiff-legged deadlifts because you keep a neutral spine alignment. Your hamstrings will handle more of the load rather than the lower back. I learned how to do this exercise from reading an article by Dr. Fred Hatfield.
    i had a feeling that i could have used more weight, but since it was my first time doing the exercise i was experimenting with it and getting the feel. Next time i'll probably jump up 5-10 pounds or so now that i know.

but i did feel it well, so that's certainly good.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by ward065
    i had a feeling that i could have used more weight, but since it was my first time doing the exercise i was experimenting with it and getting the feel. Next time i'll probably jump up 5-10 pounds or so now that i know.

but i did feel it well, so that's certainly good.
    Dr. Squat said that if you really focus on posteriorly tilting your pelvis, you'll feel an intense stretch in the hamstrings. When I do an exercise for the first time, I always go a little lighter as well. Better safe than sorry.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Romanian deadlifts do not equal stiff legged deadlifts?? I was wrong.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    Romanian deadlifts do not equal stiff legged deadlifts?? I was wrong.
    Ian King (Aussie Strength Coach and t-nation. com writer) describes Roman Deadlifts as the style with a neutral spinal alignment and Stiff-Legged Deadlifts as the style with a flexed trunk at the bottom (some consider this dangerous).

chest6 is offline Banned
    Ian King (Aussie Strength Coach and t-nation. com writer) describes Roman Deadlifts as the style with a neutral spinal alignment and Stiff-Legged Deadlifts as the style with a flexed trunk at the bottom (some consider this dangerous).
    Still a little confused..so is it basically rounding the back and arching the back?

hehe ok this is confusing, which exercise was i doing.

i grabbed the dumbells, leaned my torso as forward as possible, while keeping my legs perfectly still, then returning to the starting position

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    Still a little confused..so is it basically rounding the back and arching the back?
    Yes.

Think of reaching your toes, with straight-legs. The stiff-legged version involves rounding your back to reach for your toes and the romanian version involves keeping a slight arch in your lower back (the trunk will be slight extended rather than flexed). I know you like powerlifting. Think of Louie's good mornings and this is how you would perform the romanian deadlift (with an arch in the lower back). With the stiff-legged deadlift, think of the stretch where you reach for your toes (trunk flexed over).
    There is a major difference between these two exercises!

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    hehe ok this is confusing, which exercise was i doing.

i grabbed the dumbells, leaned my torso as forward as possible, while keeping my legs perfectly still, then returning to the starting position
    Did you let your lower back round?

chest6 is offline Banned
    Yes.

Think of reaching your toes, with straight-legs. The stiff-legged version involves rounding your back to reach for your toes and the romanian version involves keeping a slight arch in your lower back (the trunk will be slight extended rather than flexed). I know you like powerlifting. Think of Louie's good mornings and this is how you would perform the romanian deadlift (with an arch in the lower back). With the stiff-legged deadlift, think of the stretch where you reach for your toes (trunk flexed over).
    There is a major difference between these two exercises!
    explained perfectly. I have tried both..my lower back is really sore today. It's almost a slight pain..I cant tell. I'll arch my back from now on.

Did you let your lower back round?
    i don't think it was rounded too much, i tried to keep it relatively straight to focus more on the hamstrings

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    i don't think it was rounded too much, i tried to keep it relatively straight
    You were probably doing the Romanian Deadlift, then. No worries.

Billyspt4 is offline Associate Member
    Should you feel a tension in the lower back as well with Romanian deads? Or is that just with stiff-legged deads?

Billyspt4 is offline Associate Member
    The reason I ask is because, I'll slightly bend my knees, keep my whole back straight, lower the weight to mid-shin level and back up and I feel a pull in the hamstrings and also in the lower back.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by Billyspt4
    The reason I ask is because, I'll slightly bend my knees, keep my whole back straight, lower the weight to mid-shin level and back up and I feel a pull in the hamstrings and also in the lower back.
    You will feel tension in your lower back because it is acting as a stabilizer. You sound like you have solid form for the Romanian Deadlift.

Thread Information