beuleux is offline Banned

How many exercises for lats

At present Im doing two exersices for lats on back day, close grip chins followed by wide grip. 1 warmup set of 10-12 reps and three heavy sets ranging from 8-6-4 to 6-4-2, to failure, is this enough do you think or do I need another one in there.

Flexor is offline Banned
    There are pulldowns, but I never understood the point of them because they are less stable than chins and do exactly the same job. If you can pull down more than your bodyweight how is there any point to pulldowns?

There are barbell pullovers but they don't give a full range of motion and are pretty stupid IMO.

You could do single arm rows, or bent over rowing, bringing the weight directly backwards with your elbows close to your body. That will work the lats well, but again that is not the full range of motion whereas chins are but it is another good mass exercise whereas the pullovers aren't.

Can't think of anything else that is particularly any good. Tough question.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    I always try to match my vertical pulling movments (chins, pullovers, etc.) with my vertical pressing movements (shoulder presses, side laterals etc.). If you are doing Seated Machine Shoulder Presses and Side Laterals for the anterior and medial deltoids, then I would do Pullups and Straight-Arm DB Pullovers for the lats. Just try to balance out the number of exercises evenly to create muscle balance.

ward065 is offline Member
    i like to do 4 central movements for my lats, each exercise 3-4 working sets. Again, i think this gives excellent development as you are really focusing on the entire upper back area.

For back day, this is what i do.

Bent over dumbell *OR* Bent over Barbell Rows
    Close Grip (/\ bar) Pulldowns *OR* Medium Grip Seated Rows
    Weighted Chinups, *OR* Wide Grip Pulldowns
    One Arm Dumbell Rows *OR* One Arm Seated Rows

Finally, i will do Barbell Deadlifts, but this is for the lower back

beuleux is offline Banned
    Hmmmm seated rows! Why didnt I think of that.

Thread Information