Thread: Hows this look?

Hows this look?

Going to begin this routine or something similiar to it when im healed from my surgery and have worked up to the point to handle it.Just want to hear some opinions on it, and any advice that you would like to share.Im involved in sports so my routine might look different from others u have seen.Any input or advice is welcome.
    also, i stretch before and after each workout.

Day1
    Power cleans
    Barbell shrugs
    Barbell curls
    Dumbell curls
    Reverse barbell curls

Day2
    Squats
    Front squats
    Calve raises

Day3
    Bench presses
    Close grip bench presses
    Barbell military presses
    front/side/rear dumbell raises
    Barbell pullovers
    Tricep overhead presses

Day4
    Jog
    Run sprints

Day5
    Hang cleans
    Barbell shrugs
    Barbell curls
    Dumbell curls
    Reverse barbell curls

Day6
    Incline presses
    Close grip bench presses
    Dumbell military presses
    Dumbell shoulder raises
    Barbell pullovers
    Tricep overhead presses

Day7
    Jog
    Run sprints

The thing im bothered about is only doing squats once a week. My legs are my strongest muscle and grow very quickly. My upper body grows good but my arms are kinda on the skinny side, compared to my body Is there any way to add another day of squats in there with out interfearing with my cardio?and feel free to express your opinions about my routine, i like seeing other ppls veiws on it.

livewire57 is offline Associate Member
    It looks like your doing chest twice a week? Why? And you only have one chest exercise for that whole day. Only do chest once a week and add a few more exercises (flat, incline, flies, dips) for your chest day.

Quote Originally Posted by livewire57
    It looks like your doing chest twice a week? Why? And you only have one chest exercise for that whole day. Only do chest once a week and add a few more exercises (flat, incline, flies, dips) for your chest day.
    thanks for the reply livewire57.twice a week is no problem for me. I like to do around 8-10 sets of just the one major exercise and hit it as hard and heavy as i can.Instead of doing 3 sets of 3 different exercises that arent as effective. Flys dont do nothin for me, Dips i will start to do. oh yeah and im doing barbell pullovers for chest also. But other than that do you think it looks pretty solid?

ward065 is offline Member
    i have gotten the best chest results when i split up chest training, one day for upper chest and the other for lower and middle chest. i do 3 exercises on the lower chest day and 2 on the upper chest day. So i think training chest twice a week ,focusing on different areas of it will lead to good development

Quote Originally Posted by ward065
    i have gotten the best chest results when i split up chest training, one day for upper chest and the other for lower and middle chest. i do 3 exercises on the lower chest day and 2 on the upper chest day. So i think training chest twice a week ,focusing on different areas of it will lead to good development
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah, im doing flat bench then the other day inclines so like you said im hitting different parts of the chest, and i think it will lead to good development as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellmask
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah, im doing flat bench then the other day inclines so like you said im hitting different parts of the chest, and i think it will lead to good development as well.
    you said you are doing 8-10 sets though for each.....i would recommend doing 3-4 sets for both barbell and incline presses (3-4 working sets) and then do another exercise with each workout

When i was doing all my chest training in 1 day, i was too fatigued to do incline presses effectively. My sets and reps were less than optimal. I found i have a lot more energy and strength when i split it, which leads to better development

Example: Workout 1

Flat bench press (dumbells/or/barbells), 3-4 sets
    Decline dumbell flies or cable crossovers, 3-4 sets

Workout 2
    Incline bench press (db/or/bb), 3-4 sets
    Incline flies, 3-4 sets
    Last edited by ward065; 09-16-2005 at 06:04 PM.

Example: Workout 1

Flat bench press (dumbells/or/barbells), 3-4 sets
    Decline dumbell flies or cable crossovers, 3-4 sets

Workout 2
    Incline bench press (db/or/bb), 3-4 sets
    Incline flies, 3-4 sets
    I see what your saying. On workout 1 that might work good for you , but not me. I've done flys and stuff like that and found it to be useless and a waste of time.(for me that is, it might work for others i know)So thats why i do 8-10 sets of benches, because i find them more effective for me instead of cutting them down to 4 sets and doing another exercise for 4 sets that has little effect. Thanks for trying to help tho.

Any more opinions on my workout routine? What about my other days how do they look, and how does my body part schedule fit in, am i training any bodypart 2 days in a row that i dont know of or are they split up well?and do you think i should bump up the squats to 2x a week, and if you do tell me were to add it.

I just love them squats

Quote Originally Posted by Hellmask
    I see what your saying. On workout 1 that might work good for you , but not me. I've done flys and stuff like that and found it to be useless and a waste of time.(for me that is, it might work for others i know)So thats why i do 8-10 sets of benches, because i find them more effective for me instead of cutting them down to 4 sets and doing another exercise for 4 sets that has little effect. Thanks for trying to help tho.

Any more opinions on my workout routine? What about my other days how do they look, and how does my body part schedule fit in, am i training any bodypart 2 days in a row that i dont know of or are they split up well?and do you think i should bump up the squats to 2x a week, and if you do tell me were to add it.

I just love them squats
    do you have your form in check when doing flies?? i see a lot of guys trying to use huge weights, and their range of motion is less than half ass. To do it properly, you need to stretch your arms, like you are hugging a tree.

do you have your form in check when doing flies?? i see a lot of guys trying to use huge weights, and their range of motion is less than half ass. To do it properly, you need to stretch your arms, like you are hugging a tree.

Yeah i get a full range of motion with a controllable weight thats not to light nor to heavy. I just dont grow on these isolation movement type exercises.
    ohh and i dont do 8-10 sets on every exercise, just the major ones like squats,benches and powercleans. then the others range depending on what they are.

ManOnSwole is offline Junior Member
    Deadlift at all?

Quote Originally Posted by ManOnSwole
    Deadlift at all?
    No, i do power cleans instead.I've tried to do deadlifts in the past and each time i do they strain my back between the shoulder blade and the spine. Im 6'4'' so im pretty tall and they always seem to strain my back. Im not making excuses about my height or whatever i just dont like them because of getting hurt and powercleans seem to be good enough for putting on mass and becoming more explosive.

Thread Information