Billyspt4 is offline Associate Member

How many times a week to train.....

Ok, I know to only train legs, back, shoulders, biceps, triceps, chest once a week, my question is this....Would it really hurt to train traps, abs, forearms and possibly calves like twice a week giving them at least 2 days rest in between. For example, I did shoulders and traps on Wednesday, would it hurt to do them today? I'm not sure if these are muscles that would really benefit from training like that, but I'd like to really train them harder since they are a smaller in proportion to the others. I know your traps are actually a huge part of your back, but I'm talking like 12 sets of varied shrugs twice a week and about the same for forearms, abs. I've already trained calves twice a week and I really saw a jump in size there so I try to do those twice a week like twice a month or so, not every week.

Unoid is offline Member
    calves and abs and maybe forearms, but traps need more rest.

beuleux is offline Banned
    Yeh bear in mind your traps get loads of incidental training on practically every other excercise, remember your entire shoulder girdle is attached to the main skeleton only by the colar bone at the sternum so your traps support the entire weight of everything you lift, imagine the stress on your traps when squatting and dead lifting, I know this is a static stress but not so with shoulder press and suchlike. But by all means give it a go twice a week for a couple of months and see what happens, dont forget to post the results.

I have been periodically doing them twice a week and I'm liking the results, but wasn't sure completely if they were getting overtrained. I love doing shrugs, so that's the main reason I like doing them twice a week. I know they are indirectly effected by each back workout and some shoulder as well, but I wasn't sure if the indirect effect was enough to cause them to be overtrained.

beuleux is offline Banned
    You would know if youre overtrained because your traps would ache like fcuk while training and get progressivley weaker.

All is good then

Thread Information