Raven8264 is offline Junior Member

How do you do Front shoulder raises?

I'm asking this b/c while doing front shoulder raises I tried something. Normally I raise my arm forward and when I get to the top my palm faces down, and I normally keep that position.

This time I tried rotating my palm inward (facing towards body, like a Hammer Curl), and using that position, and noticed a big difference. It seems going palm face-down works part of the side delt as well as the front, but I don't feel the side delt near as much with inward.

I'm used to seeing people go with palm down and that's how I've been doing it, but now I'm wondering if I should have been going palm-inward all along for effective isolation (since I do side raises as well).

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Raven8264; 09-10-2005 at 04:03 AM.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    If you use a hammer-grip (neutral grip), it will allow you to use superior resistance. I have trained a physical therapist (two master degrees and owns his own business) and he said a neutral-grip is more biomechanically correct. Your shoulders aren't internally rotated with a neutral-grip. This leads to better shoulder posture and a more efficient exercise for the anterior deltoids.

bignatt is offline Anabolic Member
    i use the nuetral grip as well i dont like palm down it doesnt isolate the right part of the shoulder

Jerzey is offline Member
    I have used the neutral grip for years as I blew out both of my rotator cuffs so it helps with the pain when I lift shoulders.

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    I don’t do them my anterior head gets all the stimulation it needs during flat and incline bench

Raven8264 is offline Junior Member
    Great responses, thanks! That's what I figured but just wanted some confirmation.

redmeat is offline Senior Member
    I do that sometimes. I like to alternate every other set like that just for variety.

C_Bino is offline $BAM-7246~AR-Hall of Famer
    I do a great excercise I saw Flex Wheeler doing. Try this: sit down on a bench and grab two dumbells and hold them down beside your legs in hammer position. Then raise them up infront of you but as you do so bring them slightly inward so at the top of the motion the two dumbells are pretty much touching one another. Get a great burn off of this.

-Bino

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by C_Bino
    I do a great excercise I saw Flex Wheeler doing. Try this: sit down on a bench and grab two dumbells and hold them down beside your legs in hammer position. Then raise them up infront of you but as you do so bring them slightly inward so at the top of the motion the two dumbells are pretty much touching one another. Get a great burn off of this.

-Bino
    Similiar to the exercise with cables at the ground..pulling both by your side and then upward? I guess its the same except with dumbbells

Thread Information