Sanecrazy is offline Associate Member

Smith Machine?...

Does a smith machine relieve any of the weight when doing flat or incline bench with it? I ask this because all that I ever use for barbell bench exercises is the Smith, I have no partner. Anyways just wondering if what I can bench on there is what I really bench.

SMYL_GR8 is offline Senior Member
    No, it's not. Think about it like this. If you unrack the Smith and let go, what will happen to the bar? It will slowly glide down. Now what happens if you hold a 45 bar in front of you and drop it? It's on your foot in half a second.

Secondly, the stabilizer/accessory muscles do not get incorporated as much with a Smith (or any machine for that matter) versus free weights. If you continue to bench on a Smith, you will get stronger, but if you switch to free weights after a few months, you will notice the marked difference in the "feel" of the movement.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by SMYL_GR8
    No, it's not. Think about it like this. If you unrack the Smith and let go, what will happen to the bar? It will slowly glide down. Now what happens if you hold a 45 bar in front of you and drop it? It's on your foot in half a second.

Secondly, the stabilizer/accessory muscles do not get incorporated as much with a Smith (or any machine for that matter) versus free weights. If you continue to bench on a Smith, you will get stronger, but if you switch to free weights after a few months, you will notice the marked difference in the "feel" of the movement.
    Also, the bar is usually only 15lbs.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by striker93
    Also, the bar is usually only 15lbs.
    15 lbs, 100 pounds itll drop the same speed

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    15 lbs, 100 pounds itll drop the same speed
    He asked if what he benches on the Smith Machine is what he will be able to bench on the free weight bench press. When factoring in SMLY_GR8's comments and the fact that the bar only weighs 15lbs., there will be a large difference between the two exercises.

He asked if what he benches on the Smith Machine is what he will be able to bench on the free weight bench press. When factoring in SMLY_GR8's comments and the fact that the bar only weighs 15lbs., there will be a large difference between the two exercises.
    Personally, I remember a time when my flat bench hit a plateau and I didn't know what to do, so I switched to Smith flat and watched the weights go on over 6 weeks. I was so psyched. Then after 6 weeks, I swtiched back to regular flat and did the same as I had 6 weeks prior b/c the stabilizers had not strengthened. I think this is more of a factor than the "frictional assistance" of the Smith.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Oh ok...I see. Sorry about that striker. I misinterpreted what he said my bad. You give me some of the best advice I have received.. I'll shut up now.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    Oh ok...I see. Sorry about that striker. I misinterpreted what he said my bad. You give me some of the best advice I have received.. I'll shut up now.
    No problem, Chest . I do not mind someone questioning my methods because I learn something new everyday. If I feel my method is superior, I will state that. If not, I listen closely.

TCEL300 is offline Member
    i love the smith machine for incline bench...my left shoulder always gets tweaked funny...i find the smith machine helps me get the reps in with good protection of the shoulder

Thanks guys yeah I kind of figured that with the machine stabalizing the bar, that would allow a person to incorporate other muscles to help with the bar. Because I had come to this conclusion I always try to use very strict form with the Smith(because with the Smith, you dont have to) I only use it for my first exercise which is always my heavy bar exercise for bench. The I do DBs, DB flys, pec dec, and weighted dips.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanecrazy
    Thanks guys yeah I kind of figured that with the machine stabalizing the bar, that would allow a person to incorporate other muscles to help with the bar. Because I had come to this conclusion I always try to use very strict form with the Smith(because with the Smith, you dont have to) I only use it for my first exercise which is always my heavy bar exercise for bench. The I do DBs, DB flys, pec dec, and weighted dips.
    No incline?

Quote Originally Posted by SMYL_GR8
    No incline?
    of course I alternate week to week. One week I do barbell flat and incline dumbells and then the next I start out with barbell incline and then flat dumbells. I usually only do one barbell exercise a week for chest and make it the first and the heaviest

Quote Originally Posted by Sanecrazy
    of course I alternate week to week. One week I do barbell flat and incline dumbells and then the next I start out with barbell incline and then flat dumbells. I usually only do one barbell exercise a week for chest and make it the first and the heaviest
    Gotcha. Looks good, but don't get married to that Smith, throw in a little free bar if you can even though you're doing dumbbells.

Thread Information