Beat Down Wrinkles is offline New Member

Unhappy Need Advise...Kinda Lengthy Sorry

(In honor of the Simpsons, and lost talent Phil Hartman I will start this with a Troy McClure Parody)

Hi! I'm beat Down Wrinkles. You may remember me from such hit posts as "Please Help I am a Newbie" and "Could you get this weight off of me it hurts."
    Now on to business. I am back again to ask some questions for you pros and studs of the AR community because i know that you always give such helpful advice, and know about an ocean full more of information than myself. This is kinda lengthy so I will get started and stop wasting your time. Thanks for looking by the way I appreciate it.

As a guy who is just getting back into the Gym, I need to get an idea and adjustment of my new limits, set goals and also learn as much as I can about what to do to progress. Here are my questions:

1) Currently I am working on a 3 day rotation cycle with Sundays off. I will post the routine at the bottom of this post so that anyone who wants can go over it for improvements or suggestions. I currently do two body parts monday, tuesday, and wednesday and then repeat them on thursday friday and saturday. Is it better, and would a person see more gains, on a schedule of 1 body part, each day, 6 days a week? Or is it better to hit each body part twice a week like I am doing currently.

2) I had a pretty bad accident and couldn't walk for two years. I am completely recovered and am now starting to do leg routines with the rest of my body. On the very helpful advice of some other members I decided to add squats in over my usual leg presses, doing low weight and high reps. Since I just started to do legs, HOLY SHIT does it hurt. oh my God I am so sore and have been since wednesday I coudl barely walk down the stairs this morning, barely even roll out of bed and putting my shoes on was murder. lol. I think I may have overtrained, but my question is, should I just tough it out and continue my routine until my legs adjust or should I really start even lower on the weights and progress more slowly. I just feel really weird doing squats at 135 to 165 at reps of 20, 15, 12, 10 when I weight 240. (Trying to get down to 195 cause I am only 6 feet tall.) So, is it detrimental to continue to do weights in this range an djust deal with the soreness, or does the soreness really mean that I need to lessen them even more? Since it has been 2 years since i could really do any of these things I now there will be soreness regardless. the one positive is that the soreness is in no way relation to actual pain or possible damage. It is nothing more than just muscle soreness from having use da muscle for the first time in a long time. It isn't injury related.

3) As a person who currently does not have a "source", so therefore cannot do any form of a "cycle", is it still adviseable fo rme to try and eat as much as 200 grams of protein a day? I say this because I know a person on a cycle really needs ot eat a lo tof calories and protein. But as for me, I am 240, trying to cut weight down to 190-195, and so each protein shake is about 44 grams of protein at about 250 to 350 calories per shake. I have been eating egg whites fo rbreakfast, 4 protein shakes during the day, creatine after workout (200 more calories) plus a solid dinner usually consisting of a chicken breast, a cup of rice and some broccoli. Am I eating way too much protein and thus calories, for a person who wants to lose weight and slim down? I do cardio for 30 minutes 2 times a day once in mornign and once at night. If that helps at all in helping to solve my problem.

4) My last question I promise. For now.... Because of my schedule I am currently wakign up, doing cardio for 30, eating eg whites, go to class, eat ashake 2 hours later, then another 2 hours after that, then one more 2 hours after that, then I come home and eat a sensible dinner of solids, then head to the gym, and I usually get home about 9 o clock, do 30 mins of cardio, and at 9:30 I take my creatine and anothe rprotein shake. That puts me at about 9:45 or 10. I suually go to bed about 11 or 12. Am I eating too late? is there a real cut off time for me so that I don't just convert that food to fat or should I be ok with this since my activities are usually at night? Thanks for all your time and I will post my work out routine below. it is a cut an dpaste from an earlier post I had, so replace the leg presses on wednesday and saturday with squats listed as above. Thank you!

Monday: Chest and Back Usually consisting of flat bench (10, 10, 8, 6, 4) Incline Dumbell Press (10, 10, 10, 10) Not sure what this is called but it is when you lay you rback on a bench and you pull a dumbell over your head and then bring it back to your chest then re-extend. (10, 10, 10, 10) and finally Incline Dumbell Flies (10, 10, 10, 10) and then move to chest starting with pull ups (10, 10, 10, 10 depending if I fail out or can do more) then go to cable rows (10x4 Should said it this way from the start ) then Lat Pull downs on machine or cable (10x4) and finally stifflegged deadlifts (10x4)

Tuesday: Arms. Start with straighbar curls of (10, 10, 8, 6, 4, 20) then move to preacher curls (4x10) and then cable w/ rope curls (4x10) and lastly concentration curls where I superset alternating between 30 to 25 to 15 to 10. Move to tri's starting with Skullcrushers (10, 10, 8, 6, 6, 4, 10) and move to weighted bench dips, (45lbs, 65 lbs, 80 lbs and lastly 90lbs and often we will do a last set of burn outs with the partner resistance) move to chair with overhead tricep extension with dumbells (4x10) and finish up usually with kickbacks (4x10).

Wednesday: Legs and shoulders. Leg Press machine (10x5) Leg extensions (10x4) Hamstring curls (10x4) Calf Raises inner and outter (20,15,12,12, 8) move to shoulders with shoulder press (Military press) (10x5) Shrugs (10x4) Name slipping my mind when you use an easy curl bar and you pull the weight up to your face with your hands almost touching in the middle of the bar (10x4) I'm prolly confusing a lot of people right now. and lastly arm extensions to the side or front depending on mood (10x4)

I repeat Mondays work out on thursday, tuesday and friday and wednesday on saturday and sunday I either rest or at the most do some cardio.

Phew that was a long post. Sorry for the length just had a lot of questions.

Tapout is offline Senior Member
    answers
    if eat late make sure very low carbs eat protein
    yes take in 200 grams as being not on gear you need food more so than anything for gains

overtraining
    if not on no way to recoup on that--i train 3 days a week and got big(trained 6 days at some time in my life,dropped to 5 then to 4 now 3) even when im on---you grow when you rest not while lifting and if you dont give body time to grow and heal you wont get bigger
    if your clean train no more than 4 days per week
    something like
    mon---chest/shoulders
    teus---back/traps
    thurs---arms
    fri---legs

i do
    mon--- chest/ shoulders/tris
    wed---back/traps/bis
    sometimes 1 or 2 x per month thurs---board presses for tris and some chest---bench strength
    fri---legs

its worked great for me i am 242 now at 5-10 and getting lean

Beat Down Wrinkles is offline New Member

Talking

Thanks TapOut. I will definitely take your advice on the 4 day deal. Or at the very most will just do one body part over a 5 day span and just abs and cardio on the weekends. I know it is important to let the body recover and it makes total sense that without AS my body will not recover as quickly or easily so it will need even more time to recover. I will just do my cardio on the off days and hit the weights after a time off. Is that still ok or should I rest entirely on those days? I don't think cardio will break me down or anything but I want to make sure so do you think i should forgo all exercise or would 30 to 2 hours of cardio in a day still be acceptable for mwe to recover properly?
    Thanks for your advice. This site always has such helpful people on it.

Tapout is offline Senior Member
    try weights on mon,teus,thurs,fri
    and cardio on wed and sat with sun completly off
    wed good recover day and cardio will get healing blood flowing and same with sat
    sun complete rest to miss gym---do gym too much it will feel like a job and not an escape
    ypu can also do light cardio on any training day as a warm up or cool down

Thread Information