powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~

how many weeks of training before time-off?

I know there is no set value, but I am curious what your on and off trainig cycles look like. It is possible to overtrain even when on juice and I find 1 week of no workouts every two months (on or off juice) benefital. It is hard to not go to the gym, I just have to keep telling myself its for the better.

Please list your schedule, thanks bros

IBdmfkr is offline AR VET
    When I finish a cycle I take a week off to recover. Then I usually take a week or two off a few weeks before I get back on. Be amazed on how much a week or two can help you fully recover. Your diet will the Most important on these times off.

kaptainkeezy04 is offline Anabolic Member
    ive never taken time off...except for the time i had my wisdom teeth pulled and i was on painkillers for a week. i prob should but mentally i go insane without the pumps from being in the gym. but no man i wouldnt take a break while in the middle of a cycle, cuz thats just like flushing money down the toilet.

I disagree, I have heard people with positive feedback from taking a week off in the middle. Try it and see for yourself.

[QUOTE=IBdmfkr]I have heard people with positive feedback from taking a week off in the middle.QUOTE]

Well, I havent...i mean why take a time off in the middle of this rare occasion when your test levels are higher than ever? this guy just needs some motivation man...go watch pumping iron or a ronnie coleman video.

Yes, motivation is key. One reason people don't take time off is they cannot stay motivated on their diet or get back in the gym when it is time to come back.. I took a week off last cycle and when I returned I was 2 lbs heavier, same BF%, and a little stronger. Rest is extremely important if you want to break plateaus. Everyone is different.

Keep in mind, you grow Outside of the gym, I think some people forget that fact.

yeah you grow outside the gym i know that

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainkeezy04
    yeah you grow outside the gym i know that
    It was a generalized statement, I'm sure you do know that. I see many people who train all year round and do not take adequate time off, leading to overtraining and slower muscle growth. Don't be afraid to let your body rest. It's good for you.

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    Thanks IBdmfkr. I never really have problems of motivation, just sometimes slow to no gains and every so often strength I loose what I have gained (like bench or squat will drop back down 10 lbs or so).

I try to stick to a good diet year round

RJstrong is offline Senior Member
    I like to take a week off every 3 months.... after my last contest I took 2 weeks off (had a minor back strain). obviously everyone is different and many variables are involved but time off can be good physically and mentally.

AnabolicBoy1981 is offline Anabolic Member
    a week off every 8 weeks or 10 days to 2 weeks off every ten weeks. never more than 10 weeks. it always helps.
    Intersting to note: alot of the time i will come back stronger, yet i will be very sore from the next few workouts. I think time off helps the muscles and CNS recover, but the ability of muscles to flush out lactic acid seems to diminish. But that goes away after a week so who cares. its just interesting.

in fact. a month ago, a kid came in the gym and i said "Charlie, you're lookin big man"
    and he said "I just got back in the gym today from 3 weeks off. I get lazy in the summer i guess."
    "So how'd it go?" i asked
    "i went up on all my shit today.Finally" he said
    And i said "Oop. Somebody was overtrained!"
    "

Agreed, I see many cases like the kid you speak of.

Thread Information