G-13 is offline Member

Upper and lower chest Thickness

My chest routine is as follows

Incline bench 4 sets
    Bench 4 sets
    Dips 4 sets
    incline flies 4 sets

I have always had a flat chest and wide shoulders. I broke my collar bone about 15 years ago and when i bench i have to really focus on keeping my left shoulder planted on the bench, it has a tendency to roll forward.

I would like to build my upper chest thickness and width.
    I have been doing dips for lower chest, is there something better that i can be doing instead of dips, because the problem i'm running into now is this. I'm using my body weight plus 35-50lbs and i cant keep my left shoulder back, it rolls forward and it hurts. When i'm doing dips for chest i keep my chest out and lean forward and try to keep my elbows out, is this the correct technique?

Thanks for any help!

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by G-13

Incline bench 4 sets
    Bench 4 sets
    Dips 4 sets
    incline flies 4 sets

I have always had a flat chest and wide shoulders. I broke my collar bone about 15 years ago and when i bench i have to really focus on keeping my left shoulder planted on the bench, it has a tendency to roll forward.

I have been doing dips for lower chest, is there something better that i can be doing instead of dips, because the problem i'm running into now is this. I'm using my body weight plus 35-50lbs and i cant keep my left shoulder back, it rolls forward and it hurts. When i'm doing dips for chest i keep my chest out and lean forward and try to keep my elbows out, is this the correct technique?

Thanks for any help!
    I never ever do dips. They kill my elbows and my shoulders..always have

Papi93 is offline AR VET

Incline bench 4 sets
    Bench 4 sets
    Dips 4 sets
    incline flies 4 sets

Thanks for any help!
    You could try this:

Incline Presses
    DB Bench Presses
    Decline Presses
    Incline DB Flyes

You technique is good on the dips. At least, from how you explained it.

SVTMuscle* is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Papi93
    You could try this:

Incline Presses
    DB Bench Presses
    Decline Presses
    Incline DB Flyes

You technique is good on the dips. At least, from how you explained it.
    I agree with you, that sounds good basic scheme. But I'd maybe add in about, 2 sets of 15 at the end of your workout with lower cable cross overs i really like those to hit and fatigue my upper chest

BIGPHIL is offline Associate Member

Incline bench 4 sets
    Bench 4 sets
    Dips 4 sets
    incline flies 4 sets

Thanks for any help!

to be honest i think thats a bit much for your chest ,well for me any way... i would do:-

Barbell flat bench (5 sets)
    Dips (30 reps--usually dived in to 4 sets)
    Flat DB flys ( 4 sets)

and occasionaly i will finish with cable crossovers high and low...

As far as your shoulder goes i wouldnt risk it on dips as it keeps rolling forward..you were right to lean forward with chest out as this hits the lower chest better..

i would substitue dips for decline db or barbell bench and go for a nice pump with plenty of drop sets....

good luck

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGPHIL

go for a nice pump with plenty of drop sets....
    I'm totally agreed with you.

I love doing drop sets on dips, the pump is amazing and you get a really high intensity workout

BIGPHIL is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexor
    I'm totally agreed with you.

I love doing drop sets on dips, the pump is amazing and you get a really high intensity workout

Thats one of the things i love about training....doing dropsets......burn baby burnnnnnnnnnn

Thread Information