ojsmoothy is offline Junior Member

Trying to avoid muscle loss in morning

I understand that morning cardio on an empty stomach can put lbm at risk. Yet, for me this along with HIIT is the only thing that gives me results. I have a theory about the morning cardio: I don't consume any carbs after 4pm so I have extremely low glycogen stores in the morning, in theory the body should then go to fat burning, but we all know that sometimes muscle is lost as well. Would taking a handful of fish oil caps before hand help the body use fat for fuel, since you are providing an immediate source of fat?

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    CAPS.........

Quote Originally Posted by ojsmoothy
    I understand that morning cardio on an empty stomach can put lbm at risk.

WHY? IT DOESN'T HAVE TO AT ALL. A.M. CARDIO IS NOT CATABOLIC FOR THOSE WHO KNOW HOW TO EAT CORRECTLY THE OTHER 23 HOURS OR SO OF THE DAY.

Yet, for me this along with HIIT is the only thing that gives me results.

YOU DO TWO KINDS OF CARDIO? ON THE SAME DAY? DIFF DAYS? PERHAPS THIS IS WHY YOU MAY LOSE LEAN MASS, AS HIIT IS NOT GOOD FOR PURE FAT LOSS. (IT'S USED FOR CONDITIONING)

I have a theory about the morning cardio: I don't consume any carbs after 4pm so I have extremely low glycogen stores in the morning, in theory the body should then go to fat burning, but we all know that sometimes muscle is lost as well.

NO, IT SHOULDN'T BE IF THE CORRECT CARDIO IS DONE AND ONE'S EATING IS ON POINT. I DO THIS MYSELF AND W/MY CLIENTS, AND WE ARE ALL PROOF THAT THIS WORKS JUST FINE.

Would taking a handful of fish oil caps before hand help the body use fat for fuel, since you are providing an immediate source of fat?
    NO, INGESTING FAT BEFORE CARDIO WOULD NOT HELP THE BODY BURN FAT AT ALL.

~SC~

Hackamaniac is offline King Without a Crown ~
    swole are capsusle bad i take my omeg 3,6,9 in capsule forms and always wondered what the difference is between liquid and caps.

mitch911 is offline Member
    u need a shit load of caps to make up 14g of fat in the tbs of flax oil also take 5g of glutamine prior to cardio this will help to make sure u dont slip into burning muscle

ojsmoothy is offline Junior Member
    Thanks mitch, any other aminos necessary or would glutamine be sufficient?

SPIKE is offline AR-Hall of Famer/RETIRED

Whenever I'm in my cutting phase and do cardio in the AM. I always take a couple BCAA's prior to cardio. Its a minimal amount of calories (about 20-30) plus it will help preserve muscle within that short period of time.

LaRoche is offline Junior Member
    Quote: "I don't consume any carbs after 4pm so I have extremely low glycogen stores in the morning, in theory the body should then go to fat burning ..."

I do AM cardio on an empty stomach and workout at night. Following my workout I have my PWO shake followed by my PPWO meal (pro/carb) an hour later, which is at around 10pm. I then go to bed. I am still burning fat during my am cardio right? My glycogen stores will be low enough following that last PPWO pro/carb meal?

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Glycogen stores will be next to depleted after a nights sleep.

SPIKE is offline AR-Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Quote Originally Posted by LaRoche
    Quote: "I don't consume any carbs after 4pm so I have extremely low glycogen stores in the morning, in theory the body should then go to fat burning ..."

I do AM cardio on an empty stomach and workout at night. Following my workout I have my PWO shake followed by my PPWO meal (pro/carb) an hour later, which is at around 10pm. I then go to bed. I am still burning fat during my am cardio right? My glycogen stores will be low enough following that last PPWO pro/carb meal?

Absolutely b/c throughout the night your body will be feeding off what you ate.

I always hate to work out late. I love to have enought time in to supply my body with the nutrients it needs. Especially after a hard training day.

I'm sure by the morning you will be good to go. Best way to track it is BF measurements. Thats something I'm anal about. I have no idea why some people (trainers too) dont check BF%. Thats a perfect way to check what kind of weight you are gaining/losing.

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    No amino's are needed, they won't help one bit to preserve muscle. They will just be converted to glycogen for fuel. Please understand AM cardio is not catabolic. I repeat it is not catabloc! There are millions of threads where me and Swole go into great detail about why this is true, use a search on this forum and you will see. AM cardio is the best method for using fat from adipose tissuse for fuel, this is fact. Please lets put this to rest!

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by Giantz11
    No amino's are needed, they won't help one bit to preserve muscle. They will just be converted to glycogen for fuel. Please understand AM cardio is not catabolic. I repeat it is not catabloc! There are millions of threads where me and Swole go into great detail about why this is true, use a search on this forum and you will see. AM cardio is the best method for using fat from adipose tissuse for fuel, this is fact. Please lets put this to rest!

Thread Information