primodonna is offline Female Member

Who does hams/quads on different days?

I have never split them up but was thinking of trying it for a few months. My only concern is that right now, it takes me a good 5 sometimes 6 days to get over the soreness leg day causes so if i split them up i will never be walking normal. Or maybe that IS "normal"...?
    What happens here, stays here

Ms Figure is offline Retired Moderator
    Hey Primo i was tossing up whether to split hams and quads i used to do hams, quads and calfs on the same day then about a month a go i threw hams in with back! I love it i even dont mind quad day any more! So go for it girl!

Your legs wont actually feel as sore believe it or not as they do when you work the whole leg because you are consentrating on one area!
    Ms Figure

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    I do hams and quads as a single workout. I love going into the gym and blasting the hell out of my legs...and half way through gladly realizing I only have to do this once a week.

Pete

Yeah i am in serious need of a change.

So you're just doing quads on its own day then?

I do quads and calfs as a single workout its nice to know that once ive done quads i only have calfs to do! I used to dread my leg workout because i do believe that hams and quads do require the same intensity especially as my hams used to lack in comparison i do feel they are looking better since ive split them! But i guess you just have to try it and see!

Ms Figure

PaPaPumP is offline Retired Moderator
    Originally posted by Pete235
    I do hams and quads as a single workout. I love going into the gym and blasting the hell out of my legs...and half way through gladly realizing I only have to do this once a week.

Pete
    Exactly Pete, you described my leg day to a "T". But, Halfway through, I'm thinking....maybe I'll take legs "off" next week. . But when Thursday rolls around (Today) , I know to suck it up, and go do it ALL over again.

P

dane26 is offline Retired Moderator
    why torture yourself twice in aweek? i hate doing legs, but i gotta, so i just suck it up and do it all at once.

Iwan2bsolid2 is offline Senior Member

I have been doing this for a couple months and ever since..

I've seen great results. Leg day is my favorite day, well quad day I guess, I hate doing hammies, for some reason there just very taxing for me and make me wanna throw up. But I feel that when you train your legs all in one day your hammies always get the left over. By that I mean by the time your done doing squats, leg press, lunges, hack squats, leg extension or whatever it is you like to do your legs are so taxed that your hammies get a half asses workout. In order to develope nice hamstring you need to hit them hard, as you would your biceps...not just 4 sets of lying leg curls. With this thought in mind I decided to treat them as diferent muscle groups, and have gotten great results..My legs really started to grow and become more shapely. I did hamstrings today and my workout went like this:

seated leg curls: 4 sets 12-15 always heavy.
    standing one legged curls: 4 sets 12-15.
    lying leg curls: 4 sets, 8-10 with drop sets.
    hold and squeeze at the top as you would training Bi's. Fill em with blood.

juiceon is offline Associate Member
    I split them back about 5 years ago for about a year and my legs grew because of it. My squat exploded. Because my hams were larger/stronger, I would actually feel the mass of the hams when I squatted. In my new workout I am splitting them again for the first time in quite a while. I look forward to it big time. Already did one hams only workout and they are sore in a whole new way. It's the way to go IMO once you get a good base. It's tough on the pants though. I remember all my pants wore thin at the seams (looks cool in jeans though). Awesome - I remember I met my now wife at about that time five years ago. On one of our earlier dates she tore my jeans open at the thighs where they were wearing thin. I guess it turned her on. I digress.

MsFit is offline Female Member
    Ok, so I'm playing catch up here.........Primo - My hams were lagging a few years ago and I split my leg training up and I have made dramatic improvements. Most people neglect the hams and leave them to the end of the workout when their tired and ready to leave. I prioritized them, one day devoted to slamming the hams once a week.

Stiff Deads 4x8
    Lying Leg Cursl 4x8 (negatives)
    Standing Leg Curs 4x8 (alternate with lying)
    Lunges 4x15

MsFit
    The Elite Physique

MsFit's Pics

I'm better know as misfit!

i have the opposite problem...my hams are WAY ahead of my quads...wanna trade?

How did you manage that? I'm finally balanced, except I think my upper body overpowers my lower body. DID YOU GET MY PM PRIMO.
    MsFit
    The Elite Physique

MsFit's Pics

I am pretty sure it happened when i was training for the marathon i did. I weakend my quads from too much running that they practically disappeared...still cause some problems at times.

Getting back to the PM now

Yes, the PM is urgent.

So, did you screw up your knees with all the running? Are you able to preform squats? What are you doing to build your quads?
    MsFit
    The Elite Physique

MsFit's Pics

I screwed them up to the extent that my VM got so weak that there's nothing holding the kneecap in place so when i walk, it gives out at times...it's gotten a lot better but...i still can't fully extend my left leg though (at times) when i do leg ext...so it's a lot smaller than my right

squats, leg press, hack squats, front squats...not during the same workout but these are all i do...and leg ext

Ouch, that sucks! With a bummed knee I'm amazed that you can do those movements. Do you wrap your knees when pressing? Do you think it will help?
    MsFit

Maybe if you build up enough scar tissue it will hold the knee cap in place.
    The Elite Physique

MsFit's Pics

MarkyMark is offline Member
    Same workout brother ...

You cant Isolate these two very easy and hit just 1 hard ... The BIG movements hit both ... unlike your arms where you can focus on tris or bis .... the legs are a lil more complex ...just look at those OLYMPIAN THIGHS .... and you will see the Network of muscles making up the thigh area .... much different than the arm ...

If you are precontest prep .. you may do some heavy burn out sets with isolate movements are different days ...using like the leg extension one day and then the ham curl machine and stiff leg on another .

good luck

Venus! is offline Female Member
    I split mine but I do a after breakfast workout usually quads and I do my evening workout l8tr (hams and calves) I like doing it this way because I like to do 6 sets squats 4 set lunges 2 set wide stance lp and 2 set close stance lp and 3-4 sets leg extensions. After that usually I am seeing stars so for me to add my hams and calves after I don't believe I would be pushing them hard enough.

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator

Well

If your hams are over powering you thights, i would a) train them 1st on leg day pre-exhaust them before quads, that way quads have to do all the work. I also find doing hams on back day good combo, as stiff leg deads work lower back, kinda kill 2 birds with on stone.... plus my hams are weak and i found i had nothing left after quads.

Wow this thread is back where was it dug from LOL!

I agree Eye candy i said that somewhere it really warms the hams up on leg day if you do hypers first or as you said stiff legged after Barbel rows or something!
    Ms Figure

Thread Information