Romeoguy62 is offline Associate Member

How to kill my lats

I am seeing very little growth in my lats. I am doing wide grip pull ups and wide grip pull downs. My back exercises consist of t-bar, bent over rows and 1 armed db rows. Is there anything else I can do besides wait on the growth?

Jakspro is offline Member
    Do you do wide grip T-bar? Those seem to pound my lats... But i guess the bent over rows do the same thing if your using barbell...

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Place back early in the week. Day one would be the best choice. Prioritize your weaknesses. You'll have your most energy on day 1. Just check out and see how many people do chest on day 1. It's probably like 99% .
    Also, place your vertical pulling movements (chins, lat pulldowns) first in the workout. They are lat dominant. Rows, bent-over laterals, etc. are superior for upper back development. They will still hit the lats but just not as well.

Thanks, can't wait for Monday now!

diponyou is offline Associate Member
    i do about the same excersizes that you are doing and i ahve noticed good gains in my lats.i guess it just depends on if you are doing them rite,how much weight you are doing.
    are you gaining size in anything else or is your lats the only thing lacking.how do you eat?

wolfyEVH is offline Anabolic Member
    lat pull/chins, heavy barbell rows, and deads are all you need for back development

Malvino is offline New Member
    i get more of a lat workout when i do sholders. I find db press n lat fly destroy my lats the next day. I use my back day to concentrate on upper, mid, and i figure i get enough lower back workout just working my upper n mid.

HULKBOY is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfyEVH
    lat pull/chins, heavy barbell rows, and deads are all you need for back development
    exactly and you cant go wrong w/the weighted pull ups

etb
    etb is offline New Member
    it may seem counter-intuitive but chin's seem to get my lats better than pullups (read it in that HIT book). also when you do pullups or lat pulldowns imagine the force required to do the movement coming from your elbows and not your hands. personally i find that nautilus pullover machine and cable pullovers (lateral and front) for finishing excersizes really gets my lats sore... as long as i concentrate on the movement and don't cheat heavy wieght.

Please explain the cable lat pullovers, both lateral and front. Thanks.

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    do you use straps or hooks??

you will be able to use heavier weights with the straps.. thus, you will pull more, and grow more..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

What do you mean straps or hooks? On which exercise?

steve0 is offline NASM~AFPA~CPT
    db rows work best for me, i throw in a lil hammer strength as well

What's hammer strength?

guest589745 is offline 2/3 Deca 1/3 Test
    use wrist straps for chins if your grip gives out before your back, and deads can improve when using straps as well. I use them and I definately hit my back more now.

I work out at the YMCA (not the best, but it's free for me) and they don't have wrist strap (or chalk!). I looked for some at Wal-mart but they didn't have them. Anyone know if Academy sports of somewhere like that would have them?

guest589745 is offline 2/3 Deca 1/3 Test
    buy yer own man, prowriststraps.com

get the ones with a fatter hook. I like em.

etb
    etb is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Romeoguy62
    Please explain the cable lat pullovers, both lateral and front. Thanks.
    maybe the nomenclature is off, but front pullovers would be if you were standing at the latpulldown machine and the bar was in front of you at approx.the 3 o'clock high position. just grab it and pull it down to your body. i find if i squeeze my lats at the peak of the contraction and bring my pelvis to the bar( humping it similar to the end of a deadlift motion), it somewhat imitates the last part of a freestyle swim stroke where your hand is pushing water under your body( swimmers have incredible lats for their lithe bodytypes).
    the side pullovers would be a one arm motion were your hand starts out over your head with somewhat bent elbows. you'll probably have to get on your knees cuz' the adjustable cables just don't go high enough to get that angle were you get the plane of motion you'll want. imagine the wieghts and the cable grip are on your right side at the top adjustable position. with your left hand; grab the grip, bringing your arm directly over head(similar to an overhead tri-cep stretch). now just bring your arm over , controlling the wieght and concentrating on contracting that lat. whatever position your elbow is in(bent or straight) it needs to stay stiff for the full rep, otherwise you're engaging your tri-cep. try varying grips; i really like using no handle at all and just gripping the ball at the end of the cable, if it's got it.
    i never saw anyone do this... my kinesthesiologic instincts lead me to feel this one out; cuz i was frustrated by the same problem you're having. after experiencing good lat activation with these excersizes ( which are essentially finishing movements) i was later able to do bigger movements and feel what your supposed to feel.... instead of just wearing out your arms. hope this helps.

Thread Information